PDA

View Full Version : bleaching pocillopora!

dallast
08/23/2004, 03:26 PM
came in this morning to find my little green pocillopora half bleached! what a bummer!

any thoughts?

he has no threatening neighbors. water temp. is consistent. no excessive uv from pc lights to worry about.

hmm?

opihi
08/23/2004, 03:50 PM
bummer man.

you've ruled out the usual suspects, has the flow changed recently? could the pocillopora be getting blasted by a powerhead (usually cause flesh necrosis, but i'm trying to think outside the box here)

if you posted a pic of your tank i could make some educated guesses.

dallast
08/23/2004, 05:56 PM
no flow changes of late. will post latest pic of tank and closeup of bleaching coral tonight. i do have a goniopora slowly dying in the tank....maybe a possibility. but he has been dying for a couple months, so not sure.

can only hope for the best and that the rest of the few sps i have stay healthy!

opihi
08/23/2004, 06:04 PM
alleopathy (sp?) is definitely a possibility.

good luck with the rest of our pieces. bleaching is easily recoverable from, do watch out for tissue necrosis.

TippyToeX
08/23/2004, 07:22 PM
Sorry to hear that Dallas. Is it a captive frag or a wild one?

I'm with Jeff, watch out for tissue necrosis. If the bleaching keeps on going I'd frag it.

dallast
08/25/2004, 03:29 AM
too late!

when i came in this morning, it was all but gone. totally white except for the very tips, and they were on their way out too. wow, that was amazingly fast! i just hope nothing else in the tank gets it.

i do thank you for your comments though.

here is a picture the day i posted this request...this is just 24 hours from being perfect!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/5619bleach1.jpg

scary!

opihi
08/25/2004, 10:24 AM
bummer man, looked like a sweet little piece there. how long had you had it?

dallast
08/25/2004, 12:23 PM
i have had it since may. was growing very fond of the little fella too!he was always very extended.

just have to find another!

TippyToeX
08/26/2004, 03:51 AM
Awww that's too bad. :(

There are some really amazing purple/pink ones floating around that you might want to keep you eye out for. :)

Zookeepr1
08/26/2004, 04:46 AM
Are you sure the pc's are giving those types of corals enough light ? May not be bleaching. If it were bleaching it would be from the top down it seems, not from the bottom up.

dallast
08/26/2004, 02:26 PM
perhaps an infection would be a better guess...RTN? the lighting i have, though it is relatively meager, does seem to be working for the rest of the sps in the tank (though i have now staggering growth rates). that pocillopora was growing quite well...had nice little white tips and marked growth was observed prior to this.

either way, i just hope it doesn't happen again!