PDA

View Full Version : September meeting date

SHOmuchFUN
08/23/2004, 08:43 AM
Thursday September 2nd, 6-7:00pm. I'll bake a couple pizzas if you all bring a beverage of your choice (alcoholic or not).

I'm reluctant to call it a frag swap, because I don't have much in the way of frags to trade, but would be willing to buy if prices are right, so bring what you have to offer for trade or sale. We will discuss things like dues, advertisements, business (advertising club cards), recognition distribution, etc. There is a new reef store in town and to me, it seems as though they are trying to reach out and learn some things as well... Maybe we could extend this invitation, without crossing any commercial boundaries?

Anyway...
This is a tentative date. Please leave any comments and or suggestions to improve the date. I cannot do Mondays or Tuesdays. Any other evening and the weekends would also work.

I was also thinking of a weekend meeting sometime in the afternoon, but causes problems with labor day on the 6th.

RSVP by posting here!

tsalter
08/23/2004, 01:07 PM
I should be there. Got plenty of frags!

Later

Brad A.
08/24/2004, 09:35 PM
Will try to be there

nolofinwe
08/25/2004, 04:53 PM
I'm out of work at 5, I'll do my best to be there. Anybody want to carpool?

Ive also got some sps frags you can have, I'm thinking I dont have the patience, money, ability, or desire to keep sps.

mmmmmm pizza.

SHOmuchFUN
08/26/2004, 07:49 AM
Well I've got colt coral in my tank that grows like a weed thanks to Tom P. As long as the Pet Advantage keeps payin me to bring it in to them, I guess I won't complain.

I think it's waging chemical warfare in my tank. Now I think I know why Tom sold it to me in the first place ;)

Brad A.
08/26/2004, 08:59 AM
If its a big colt, you may want to consider using some carbon to absorb all the toxins they release.

SHOmuchFUN
08/26/2004, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I've got a bag of it running in the sump... Probably needs to be changed though.

I'm thinking of selling it... But would need one HUGE piece of coral to take it's place though. Probably could get a big piece of LR to take its place I guess, but it's a big PITA to add LR to an already running system unless it comes from a mature cycled tank.

nolofinwe
08/26/2004, 05:06 PM
hm. big colt that younkeep selling frags of to PA? Brownish color? I think I bought a big hunk of that about two months ago now.

SHOmuchFUN
08/29/2004, 09:00 AM
So far I've got...

Tom P.
Brad A. (maybe)
and Nolo (is this your real name?)

Anybody know if anyone else is coming? I assume that Drew will have to work, unless he can get away for a while (which is unfortunate, I wanted him to see my tank too).

Elorian
09/24/2004, 05:33 PM
There's a new reef store in the area? Does anyone have any further info? Not trying to step on any toes (I know there is a strong affiliation with The Pet Advantage here :) ), but I always enjoy looking around a new store.

TIA for any info.

Brad A.
09/24/2004, 07:58 PM
Try milton mini-reef they have mostly coral.

Only two stores in VT worth stopping by...(in my humble opinion)
Milton mini-reef 893-6666
Pet advantage 860-1714

We're not affilliated with any pet store.

nolofinwe
09/24/2004, 10:07 PM
oh i don't mind gary's so much. coping with pontificating know-it-all's is a hobby hazard, in my opinion.

never been to milton mini-reef, though.

is milton the "new store" you were referring to?

SHOmuchFUN
09/25/2004, 07:25 AM
Green Mountain Aquarium: Yeah, I don't know if it's coping with know-it-alls, or deciphering what he knows and what he doesn't. One of my first corals was a gonioporra that I bought from him for $50, when he said it would do "PERFECTLY" in my 55 with PC's. Needless to say, I haven't been in there since.

The people in Milton Mini-Reef are VERY nice. They don't know it all, but also don't preach that they do. I've gone in there and shared a couple stories about my tanks and they listen. Whenever I go in there, they'll call me by my name and ask me how my tank is doing and mention a specific inhabitant. That to me, is good customer service, and as long as they have good livestock I will continue to buy from them...

As for Pet Advantage, I'm done buying fish from them. Usually my fish stay pretty healthy, but I set up a 20H and moved my clownfish in there, so I had some extra room. After the move, the 55 only had 2 chromis. In the past few weeks I've bought a foxface that got ich and died, and brought home a beautiful tomato clown with a very BLUE stripe that developed HLLE and took a nosedive into my Haddoni carpet :rolleyes1: I think Drew and Jason do know a bunch, but until they practice what they preach over there, I'm pretty much done buying livestock from them.

Just my .02

I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Brad A.
09/25/2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by nolofinwe
oh i don't mind gary's so much. coping with pontificating know-it-all's is a hobby hazard, in my opinion.

never been to milton mini-reef, though.

is milton the "new store" you were referring to?

yes

As far as Gary's store is concerned, I wont get started.

tsalter
09/25/2004, 02:37 PM
Better question is there a good way for a store to quarentine or keep fish healthy when they keep dumping new fish into the system? I haven't bought a fish in probably 8 months because i know anything that I get is going to have something and I don't want to put my livestock at risk. Unless we set up some type of club quarentine with uv ozone penicillin solient green hypo salinty and a diatom filter. A little over the top but I just would hope that If I ran a store I would make sure that the fish I sold were healthy before I put them on the floor. maybe that means getting a fish shippment every 6 weeks instead of every week but you would think you would know what was going to sell. It really frustrates me that not one shop quarentines new fish and then dumps the next shipment right in with old diseased fish every week. It is really stupid.

I think gary runs copper on one side of his setup and I have bought my first two fish from him, but I has quarantined every other fish I have bought and treated for ich when they come down with it. I wish this wasn't such a problem.

T

Elorian
09/27/2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info on Milton Mini-Reef. My bad on the affiliation thing- having talked with Drew about the group, and the first post in this thread lead me to believe there was some (at least unofficial) connection. Seems I was reading between the lines where there was nothing written :).

Thanks again for the info.