PDA

View Full Version : Tank Crashed !

ed_peters
08/22/2004, 11:16 PM
Its been a tough week. About a week ago I had my Cap aqua 1800 skimmer pump short out while I was at work. I came home to that gut wrenching something isn't right smell. I checked my tank to find my Xenias yellow, and all my snails on the bottom! :-(

Needless to say this event started my tank into a death spiral, after major water changes all week I have managed to save my two frogspawn, a flowerpot (still minimal extension) and my sun coral hanging in there. I lost my yellow tank, cleaner shrimp and three of four Peppermint shrimp. I ending up losing my Rose BTA, two green star polyps, a torch coral, two types of xenia.

My question for those more knowledgeable, it appears that my tank is still in some short of cycle. I haven't been able to get my Ammonia much under 1 PPM. I am continuing water changes and have experimented with Amquel. How long should I expect to have to ride this out? Has anyone else had a similar experience? As my son says, the tank looks like the surfice of the moon (lots of bare rock) I am seeing some algea blooms but the replenished sanils seem to have them under control.

I have bought some live sand from Garf to try and re-activate my DSB. It looks like my pod population was decimated.

Any suggestions welcomed. I can see know how people get frustrated and pack it in and quit the hobby.

boofer
08/23/2004, 12:42 AM
sorry about your troubles...wish you luck w/ them

fishdoc11
08/23/2004, 07:29 AM
Also sorry to hear about your troubles. That really sucks. It's really hard to say how long you will have to ride it out. More water changes(cleaning the sandbed and blowing detritus off the rocks etc... as you go), as frustrating as that sounds, are probably the best course of action right now along with running lots of carbon and if you get a new skimmer I would dial it up to skim wet. Massive water changes wouldn't hurt, 50% or more. Good luck.
Chris

kevlouie
08/23/2004, 08:04 AM
Possibly take your live rock out and clean it in a sump type container for a few days. It soaks up contaminants and slowly leaches them back in. Live rock is a buffer, when you have hi ambient ammonia (or whatever) it soaks it up, then slowly releases it. Massive water changes ~80% in the tank meantime. Also your sandbed may be dead and leaching stuff too. Sorry.