PDA

View Full Version : SW MO fish stores

ledford1
08/21/2004, 10:04 AM
Hi all. I just moved to Joplin, MO from Southern Illinois. I was wondering if there are any good fish stores around? Joplin only has one store and so I'd like to check out what else is in the area.
I moved a 90g FOWLR here and am currently setting up a 180. So I would appreciate any advice you have. Thanks.

twfields79
08/21/2004, 03:38 PM
Hello and welcome to the area. I am sorry to say that we have three stores here in Springfield, but I would be embarrased(sp?) to recomend any of them as good stores. But you may want to check them out we have Cichlids and salt on South Campbell, aqua paradise in Nixa, MO, and then a couple of the pet warehouses sell saltwater fish I would just reccomend ordering offline though, you ought to come check out one of our group meetings I think they hold them on the first Saturday of each month. Our next one is on September 12 at Anthony's house in Nixa if you are interested let us know and we will get you directions or you can just look on the web sight at www.theseas.org.

Red Sea Purple Tang
08/21/2004, 06:04 PM
Ledford1~

Welcome to SW Missouri! I would have to ditto what Tim said. I would recommend stores in KC and Rogers, Arkansas. Exotic Tropicals in Rogers is one of our favorite road trip spots.

Red Sea Purple Tang
08/21/2004, 08:27 PM
Just a little clarification. Our group meetings are normally on the first Saturday of the month. September 11th will be ours in Sept, as the first weekend is Labor Day and we wanted people to spend time with their families.

twfields79
08/21/2004, 08:29 PM
oops sorry!! My bad.

ledford1
08/21/2004, 09:56 PM
Nixa and Rogers... alright. It's a distance, but I'm used to travelling for these things. Back in Illinois, the local fish stores were okay, but often made trips to St Louis, Evansville (IN), Nashville (TN), and Cape Girardeau to hit up the good stores.
I did make a trip to Springfield today with some good results. I bought some live rock at Cichlids and Salt. The large pieces almost crowd my 90 but will look good in the 180. I also went to the independent Pet Warehouse by the Wal-Mart on south Glenstone. One of the other Pet Warehouses recommended it as the best, and almost only, saltwater store they had in town. It was average I suppose, but was much better than the Pet Warehouse in Joplin which is horrible. But we did find a prize at the Springfield Pet Warehouse - a Majestic Angel. My wife loves the large angels and wanted one for the 180, so we got it. It had great color and was eating well, so we hope it will do just fine.
Thanks for the notice on the meetings. We may take you up on that, sometime at least. I've got the SEAS site bookmarked. Having just moved, we have a lot of work to do. I do hope to make it sometime though.
Thanks for the advice.

Red Sea Purple Tang
08/22/2004, 09:37 AM
Glad you found some goodies!! Majestic Angels are sweet. Post some pics when you get a chance.

LargeJohn
08/22/2004, 02:50 PM
Ditto on the welcomes ledford1!!

What were some of your favorite stores from Evansville??

I am a native Hoosier and visit there occasionally, but I haven't gone "fishing" there in about 10-15 years.

SoupySteve
08/22/2004, 04:02 PM
Ledford - Cichlids & Salts isn't all THAT BAD. If you get there when John has just got in his livestock, you can get some pretty cool stuff. Let me just repeat though, Exotic Tropicals in Rogers Arkansas seems to be our favorite. The place is clean, you don't see dead stuff in the tanks, the staff is knowledgable and patient. The only downside is the drive - and their prices are a little high - BUT if you have a SEAS membership, you get 10% knocked off your price!

Kayo
08/22/2004, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the area Ledford. I live about 35 miles south of Joplin. I actually go up to Joplin about every 3 weeks for pizza and beer at a place called Stouts.

ET in Rogers is about a 60-70 minute drive for you but I believe well worth it.

October 2nd I will be hosting a meeting between the Seas and the Razorback reef.