PDA

View Full Version : fish for high flow reef

garbled
10/20/2001, 04:50 PM
I'm building an extremely high-flow reef tank in a 30 gallon hex tank. I would like to add a few fish to this tank, but I'm wondering if there are any fish that would do well in a very high flow environment? (the tank is being designed for acroporas, as an experiment)

My plan right now was a school of about 3-4 green or blue chromis. I was also considering 1-2 neon gobies, but I'm not sure they would like the flow.

For the curious, the flow is going to be circular in nature, back and forth like a washing machine.

I'm basically looking for a few fish to liven up the tank, preferably ones that would do well in a reef crest environment.

Any thoughts?

Laura D
10/24/2001, 12:34 PM
I have heard that blennies come from high energy areas, maybe a red lip would be nice? They have great personalities.

Leopardshark
11/05/2001, 12:20 AM
How about a wrasse? they perform great under high current.

hcs3
11/05/2001, 12:36 AM
clown gobies (Gobiodon sp.) can do well in high flow areas, especially when paried with SPS. a small wrasse like a 6 line (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) would also do well. blennies like the bi-color (Ecsenius bicolor) will spend their day perched in their favorite holes with only their faces exposed until feeding time.

the reef chromis mentioned should do very well in high flow. neon gobies spend a good deal of time perched, so they are also a possibility.

HTH

henry