PDA

View Full Version : Need Pickling Lime!

jimroth
10/19/2001, 12:28 PM
A big shout out to my fellow reefkeeping New Jerseyans.
Has anyone seen Ball Pickling Lime in any supermarket in North Jersey? I usually get it at the Pathmark in Randolph but the manager told me they aren't stocking canning supplies this year.

JerryReef
10/19/2001, 11:55 PM
"Ball Pickling Lime??!!!"

What are you smoking these days, Jim :D What are they?

Jerry

katspaw
10/20/2001, 06:13 AM
LOL Gerald,
Pickling lime is a less expensive way to dose your tank for those all important nutrients, ie alk I beleive in this case. Some people think it is better than the stuff you get at the LFS. I personally have never used it, But I know several who do. Also it is great to know these little tricks if you live way out and their isn't a LFS in your area. :)
Jim, We have a huge shoprite that carries everything over in Nutley, the store is aboout two city blocks long (I'm not kidding) I will look and see if they have it there.

Tracey

jimroth
10/20/2001, 05:14 PM
Thanks Tracey. Otherwise I'm gonna have to drive out to the stixks (well, Pennsylvania) where everybody does canning.
Yah Jerry, I laughed like hell the first time I typed Ball Pickling Lime. Har har.
What's even funnier is that it's 2.50 when it's labled Ball Pickling Lime and 12.50 when it's labelled Three Little Fishies Kalkwasser. Same crud. Keeps my calcium up.

JerryReef
10/21/2001, 08:40 AM
No kidding :smokin: It is actually labeled "Ball Pickling Lime?"

Have to check my local Supermarket, we have a bunch of them scattered around the area to cover the diverse cliental ;) Is it fresh produce or bottled/canned?

What is it normally used for...I mean apart from from straightening out the LFS :cool:

It is all in the packaging :bum: what a racket!

katspaw
10/21/2001, 09:10 AM
Gerald,

Ball pickling lime should be in were they have canning goods. Ie: this is something used for people who store their own food, Like your grandmother may have done. you know homemade jam, tomato sauce etc. I know down south, you can find it in just about any grocery store. But in the great northeast, this isn't the practice of the up and coming yuppie.:D They work outside of the home more and more and rely on food products prepared by manufacturers. Just ask the manager of the store if they carry the product, and don't be disappointed if the first 10 say no.

Tracey