PDA

View Full Version : Genetic diversity vs Inbreeding

Agu
10/19/2001, 11:44 AM
The interest in captive breeding appears to be growing, but it appears most people get both of their immature fish from the same source and try to pair them up. I suspect that often these are fish from the same brood, and are brother and brother (sister). I'm in the process of setting up a tank that will only house a pair of banggais as the fish load. Although I'm not planning on breeding and raising the fry yet, I have a suspicion the bug will bite me. Do I need to procure the fish from different sources?? Does anyone sell pairs from different broods? Is this even an issue?

I bring this up because I've noticed that often captive bred clowns aren't "true" to the species, they often have abbreviated or missing markings.

Hmmmm, maybe there would be a market for three eyed bangers
:eek2: .

Agu

FMarini
10/19/2001, 01:12 PM
Agu:
My guess would be there would be great interest in 3-eyed banggers, as well as albino banggers, and stumped banggers....But seruously...
Here read this post and see if it answers your question.
http://reefcentral.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=18335&highlight=inbreeding
I to this day have no good answer except i would suggest to you that you do obtain each fish from a different source, just to ensure qulality genetics
Let me know what you think
frank

Agu
10/19/2001, 02:08 PM
Frank,

I think I'll go to two different sources for the banggai. One captive bred from a hobbyist and one from the LFS that may or may not be wild caught. Even though I may not raise the fry (yeah right :rolleyes: , my wife sees a mouthful of babies and I won't have a choice) it seems the ethical choice to not inbreed without knowing the consequences.

Agu