PDA

View Full Version : keeping the sandbed clean

loyalty
08/17/2004, 02:45 PM
What can i get to keep the sand in my tank agae free? it looks like my front yard in places, and when I move the powerheads, a new patch springs up.

Think an engineer goby would do it? more snails/crabs?

Thanks

Mdwannabe
08/17/2004, 02:48 PM
As a very wise reefer once said....If you can count your snails, you dont have enough!

imsqueak
08/17/2004, 06:01 PM
I added a cucumber to my 55 and it has done wonders! there are drawbacks such as if they die it can be a disaster so research a little to see what you think. One thing for sure, your sandbed will stay sparkling clean if you get an active one like I have. Like everything in this hobby, it's a neg. vs pos. that you have to decide on.

loyalty
08/17/2004, 09:58 PM
thanks everyone. I'm going to try more snails, then see how it goes. I might even get a sand sifting star

reewik
08/18/2004, 07:05 AM
If you introduce some Nasarius (sp) snails they live under the sand. They will come out to feed when you feed the tank. The point being they stir up the sand. I would give them a try. I have had them a while and they are great.

kevlouie
08/18/2004, 08:48 AM
Algae on the sandbed also indicates that there is too much nutrient in the tank. A better skimmer will help. Stirring the sandbed does not address the root cause, but at the moment it is the method I use...I would do this in the short term.

1. Get as diverse a sandbed as you can. Nassarius snails, turbos, astreas, pod, various worms, even some clams and starfish. Swapping live sand helps accomplish this.

2. Feed less, skim more, keep bulbs fresh, reduce primary bioload, etc, to keep nutrients low.

3. Possibly think about nutrient exportation, ala a refugium with macroalgae growing in it.

jslomo420
08/19/2004, 12:05 PM
My fighting conchs do a pretty good job. Plus its cool when all you can see is their beedy little eyes pokeing out of the sand.

loyalty
08/21/2004, 02:12 AM
thanks everyone, I got a dozen Nasarius (sp) snails today and about as many hermits today. I also "tweaked" my powerheads. hopefully things'll get better

danieljames
08/21/2004, 03:29 AM
I can get you a cup or two of sand jer. Its well established.