PDA

View Full Version : go ahead..or wait

boofer
08/16/2004, 06:48 PM
I'm changing from 165 watts of PC'S to 14k 250de this week...a MAJOR light change.I'm wanting to move alot of inhabitants around and do a little aquascaping (all my sps are 4-6 inches from water surface). nothing "good" happens quick in these tanks so should I wait till acclimating everything and take the chance of maybe bleaching some lower light sps where they sit, or move everything before the light acclimation and hope I dont stress everything too much with 2 major changes.
My thoughts (look out:D) are to go ahead and move them first. they are going to be moved eventually anyway, might as well acclimate them to where there going to be instead of acclimating them to higher light then moving them lower. just want to make the switch as smooth as possible. any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
thx Dustin

fishdoc11
08/17/2004, 10:07 AM
I would change everything around and then wait a week or two to add the halides or add the halides and then wait till everyone is acclimated to switch stuff around. This is just to be safe as I don't know if you will cause any more harm doing both but, as you stated, it is hard to figure out what's going wrong(IF that happens and hopefully it won't) if you do 2 things at once. FWIW I switched stuff around during my acclimation to XM bulbs when I had those bleaching problems and wished I wouldn't have. I ended up losing 6 large colonies and didn't know the exact cause because I changed bulbs, changed corals position, brought my alk up and started using phosban all at the same time. Can you tell I was aggrivated with my algae problems? Anyway good luck and how are those frags doing? The ones I got from you are doing great! That tri color you bought likes as much light as you can give it.
Chris

boofer
08/17/2004, 02:02 PM
Yeah Chris thats exactly what I dont want to do is change a lot of things at once and things start crashing and not knowing whats doing it. The more I think about it I just recently started the slurry method of kalk and if I changed light and arrangement it might be too much for them...especially the newest additions, which all seem to be fine BTW. The tri-color I have at the highest point in the tank. I didnt realize it has such neon green polyps,especially with the moon lights on..very cool! ETA on my light bulb is Friday so hopefully the PC's wont do it too much harm by then. glad to hear yours are doing well too. Unless I change my mind (sadly, I do often) I'm going to hold off on moving everything till I acclimate them to the light and see how that goes first. your definitely right..if something goes wrong, the less variables to figure out the better...3 days and counting:)

reewik
08/17/2004, 08:27 PM
I tend to agree with Cris also. Change little at a time. If you keep a log and a problem occurs you can sometimes pinpoint what caused the problem. So what is the idea for the aquascape Dustin?

boofer
08/17/2004, 09:49 PM
well im wanting to make all the sps more natural looking instead of that stacked on the top kinda look that I have to do now just to keep them alive. move some caps lower, digis lower blah blah. I have a decent size chunck of rock I'd like to find room for so thats my biggest aquascaping issue, but to use it id have to move everything else. I like the look and have lots of caves and such as it sits now so theres really not a need to do it right now just something im going to do eventually. Im liking the 2 diffrent island idea more and more but being a 29 (with the rock i have in it) id have to remove some and im not wanting to really do that right now. I'll try and post a pic maybe that will help

boofer
08/18/2004, 10:22 PM
Its not the best pic but its the most recent. ..basically I just want to do some minor moving of everything, put one rock in..break it up a little...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/52659full_tank8_18_04.jpg

this is my first pic and I lost alot of resolution making it below 50kb..whats everyone use to compress theres?

fishdoc11
08/18/2004, 10:32 PM
Looks very nice boofer! Looks bigger than a 29.
Chris

reewik
08/19/2004, 06:35 AM
Thats funny you say that Chris I thought is was by the picture. Looks good Dustin.

boofer
08/19/2004, 10:14 PM
thx guys....its a big 29 Chris :)
poor tank has no clue whats in store for it tomorrow muwahahahahahaha!