PDA

View Full Version : pumps/manifold

Ronald
08/16/2004, 12:40 PM
Hi Anthony, I am taking your advise and getting power heads out of my system in favor of a manifold. I am also re-designing my sump and return system planning for a calcium reactor and three refugia. My question I tried to address by searching the equipment forum but got information overload. I have had nothing but excellent advice from your forum so....I thought I would try you again...if it is ok.

I have a 54 inch to 60 inch pressure head on my tanks and refugium. I would like to run the manifold through a SCWD (double manifold design) and supply 4 refugia including a hang on the tank version. I plan on plumbing it my self with true unions and gate valves. The questions...

What would be a very reliable external pump of sufficient power (price is less of an issue fortunately). If you do not want to recommend a brand over the forum I understand, please PM me.

Is it as good Idea to double the manifold and connect through the scwd or will it restrict flow too much? My display is 75g with xenia, euphyllia, mushrooms, zoos etc.

Thanks

Ron :)

Anthony Calfo
08/16/2004, 12:59 PM
Cheers, Ron

great to hear from you my friend :)

I am not shy about recommeding good brands and products. I simply tend to mention those that are time-tested and reserve comments new ones with great potential for a little while.

To the point... a pump recommendation is very easy here. Far and away I strongly prefer Japanese made Iwaki pumps (they have US made versions too... good pumps, but less expensive for a reason <G>)

What appeals to me about Iwakis is that they are staggeringly durable. I have used dozens of them as a hobbyist and in my commercial installations for a long time. You dont see too many pumps make it to 15 years old ;) Or pass crushed coral through the impeller and come out fine... or a coris wrasse, but I digress :D

This pump overall delivers on value, longevity, and silent operation, IMO

I'm not clear on what you mean by double manifold design though. Can you provde a diagram or line drawing (scanned drawing)?

Anthony

Ronald
08/16/2004, 01:09 PM
Wow now that is a fast reply!

I have no means to transmit a drawing at this time but imagine two parallel 1/2 inch lines extending under the mid brace of the tank and each going a seperate direction under the front brace of this "in the wall" bow front tank. The pump would supply a branch to a cascading arrangement of refugia gate valved for control of flow with the rest of the flow entering a scwd. The outlet of the scwd would be directed to each of the two manifold inputs and as the flow switched it would alternate between the two halves of the manifold. {mainly because I already bought the scwd and haven't used it yet}. The refugia and calcium reactor would recieve constant flow through proximal conections to the pump. Or I could bag the SCWD and keep it simple. Does that help?

Thanks again

Ron

Anthony Calfo
08/16/2004, 01:21 PM
it does help indeed, my friend. It frankly sounds like at best it will be a bit too comlicated (uneccessarily) to work and at worst be handicapped in its ability to make changes to flow on one or more outlets without influencing the others.

My advice is to keep it simple :) Use the SCWD seperately or trade/sell it (great value).

Anthony

Ronald
08/16/2004, 01:45 PM
I have the plumbing diagram on my web site under an excell file named plumbing diagram.xls. To download go to the site here (http://homepage.mac.com/ronaldalberico/downloads) and type the password download. The file is 26 kb. I hope it explains it better than my description. :D

Thanks again

Ron

PS I am enjoying your reef invertebrate book even more than the BCP1!

Ronald
08/16/2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks again and good day sir! I will keep it simple and maybe use the SCWD in my next tank?

All my Best

Ron :)

Anthony Calfo
08/16/2004, 02:04 PM
thanks for the kind words about NMA RI... very glad you like it :)

I'm almost finished with the next volume (part 1 of coverage on Reef Fishes for the NMA series) too (cheap plug <G>)

your diagram does look good overall... the only change I suggest you make is that a valve is likely needed after the bleeder tee for the refugium and before the SCWD device to regulate flow if needed or simply to divert flow for maintenance/water changes, etc.

Anthony

Ronald
08/16/2004, 02:11 PM
Thanks, I will add that. Maybe I'll build both models and test them for flow with the garden hose or something. I'll let you know how the scwd affects the flow at the side bleeders.

Ron

Anthony Calfo
08/16/2004, 02:13 PM
excellent to hear... looking forward to seeing it in action :)

Anthony

Ronald
08/22/2004, 06:45 PM
Hi Anthony, I have re-designed the manifold to bring the SCWD inside the tank. I have learned much about plumbing in the last few days and am really enjoying this. I bought a great pvc tube cutter and am having a ball.:rollface: If you are interested my download is still available, just click in the entry above as before. Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

Best regards

Ron

Anthony Calfo
08/25/2004, 01:16 AM
thanks, kindly, Ron... I just got back from a wonderful trip to give a presentation and workshop to the SCMAS club.

Catching up with a ton of e-mail now :P

be chatting,

Anthony