PDA

View Full Version : Cirrhilabrus scottorum Identity crisis

Brad Johnson
10/18/2001, 11:05 AM
Dr. Ron,

I have posted this question across numerous boards, and have had very little response. Looking through the archives I saw you have no experience with the Fairy Wrasse, but wondered if you new of anyone I could ask or if at the very least you knew someone who was succesfull in keeping the male coloration. Thanks for any insight.

--Brad

All,

I have 2 Cirrhilabrus scottorum - Scott's Fairy Wrasse and have run into the almost complete loss of color problem. I originally bought 2 so that 1 would change to the female coloring and maybe give me a shot at keeping the male coloring. Well there was absolutely no fighting for dominance. The larger of the 2 stayed with his male coloring and the other smaller one (about 1/2 the size) started changing almost immediately.

Now we are a couple months down the road and the dominent male has slowly lost his coloring and now is nearly the color pattern of a female. Actually less striking than the female. He doesn't have much of a purple hue to him, just VERY dark. I can still make out a little of the red square on his side.

I feed almost every form of frozen food available, so can't think of anything on the nutrition front. However I do not soak the food in any vitamins, etc. Have never been a big fan of this.

Simple question to this long drawn out post is, has anyone kept a Scott's coloring long term?? What did you do, and any suggestions on changing the sex of one of my Scott's back to male. Thanks for the help.

rshimek
10/23/2001, 01:13 PM
Hi,

I am moving this to the marine fish breeding forum where some one may have information on sexual color phases, and you may get the answer you need.

:D

FMarini
10/23/2001, 05:55 PM
Brad:
This question is out of my league.
BUT i do know someone who deals w/ scotts fairly wrasses and is very experienced in dealing w/ them.
Its Randy at www.Marinecenter.com.
Call or email him. he deals w/ these wrasses daily and has seen many of the color phases, and probably has a better handle on this question than i do.
i hope this helps
frank

MiNdErAsR
10/24/2001, 07:52 AM
Brad,
If you do contact Randy, please be sure to post a follow-up here. I would love to learn more about these beautiful fish, as I just acquired a pair of juveniles with the hope of them pairing up. :)

TIA

Brad Johnson
10/29/2001, 07:35 PM
Just sent an email to Randy. Will post with any news.

Robert Fenner did suggest that I vitamin soak, so I have been soaking in Zoe for about 1.5 weeks. No change.

--Brad

MiNdErAsR
12/22/2001, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Brad Johnson
Just sent an email to Randy. Will post with any news.

Brad,
Any word from Randy?