PDA

View Full Version : The sump that Mike built

mpdharley
08/13/2004, 06:40 PM
Well, after a couple of months of procrastination and a couple of weeks of work, I finally got my new sump (that I built) put in place.

I screwed up on the baffles and still have some micro bubbles, but it's hard to see them in the tank, so I'm not going to worry about them for now.

With the new sump, I moved everything external, including all the Mag pumps. This reduced the heat in the water by a couple of degrees and allowed me to shut off the fan that I had blowing on the sump when the lights were on.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, but it was a royal PITA changing it out. I ended up breaking the seal on the overflow bulkhead from the tank to the sump. This meant that I had to drain the water out of that overflow, clean it out and put the bulkhead back.

There was only one problem. That bulkhead had been in place for about two years or so and would not come off!!! :mad: Even with a wrench, it wouldn't budge! I ended up taking my dremel tool to it and cutting through the nut (ouch! :D)

Moral of the story, if you are doing something like this, make sure you have replacemnt bulkheads! Thankfully, I did!!!!

I need to re-do the drain from the right side of the tank as it is a very long straight run without an incline. But, I'll tackle that a little later.

Anyway, here are the pictures:

Left side
http://www.mpdharley.com/pics/sump-left.jpg

Right side
http://www.mpdharley.com/pics/sump-right.jpg

The sump is as big as it is because of my 70 gallon fuge. That thing will drain a lot of water when the power goes out!!!

FishhyRen
08/19/2004, 07:14 PM
I guess I'll be the first one to say this but-- GREAT JOB!
You've definitely got some skills w/the acrylic!

mpdharley
08/19/2004, 07:28 PM
Thanks! I'm learning more and more...the first pass at this is still only partially put together and is on the shelf in the garage! :)

So far it is holding with no leaks, so now it just needs to pass the test of time :)

redfernsoljah
08/24/2004, 04:57 PM
Sure could use your help when I build my 40gallon sump for the 90 in the next couple of months. Never have fused acrylic together before.

mpdharley
08/24/2004, 09:25 PM
No problem, just send me a PM or an email when you are ready to work on it.