PDA

View Full Version : plenum vs. dsb

kshem
10/17/2001, 06:19 PM
Hopefully we can keep the MM issue out of this one, but, does anyone have any practical experience with both a dsb and a plenum system? I'm setting up a small FO tank with a Trigger (who likes to dig) and I'm debating over which might be a better way to go.

I know either way I will have to put something close to the top layer to keep him from digging too deep.

I've had some success using a plenum before, I was curious if anyone has seen the same success using both methods or if anyone has insight into the ads/disads of one vs. the other.

NASAReefKeeper
10/24/2001, 11:34 PM
I tried to get some info too...
I am setting up a 46 bowfront and I will not have a sump so DSP or plenum for me too.

I am just not clear on the exact construction technique.

I was thinking plenum made from bow shapped cutout of egg crate. some 1/2 inch pvc cut in 1-2" lenghts glued on its side around the bottom. a big piece of nylon screen material. about an inch of argonite then fold over the screen, then 1-2 more inches of argonite.

that was the plan...

kshem
10/29/2001, 02:45 PM
That's the general idea, though you may want to include some pvc in the center as well as around the edges. There's a lot of weight that ends up on top.....

Borneman mentioned Ron Shimek and Rob Toonen as authors with insights on sand beds in general.

I know there is a lot of info in the Sprung/Delbeek books "Reef Aquarium vol 1 and 2" on plenums. Also, check out www.garf.org. They are big promoters of the plenum method.

However, I'm still interested to hear if anyone has any experience using both and has a practical comparison...........

jameso
11/01/2001, 05:54 PM
I don't think a plenum has any advantages that a DSB doesn't have. Meaning why go to the hassle of a plenum when a DSB will do the same thing?

HTH
James

FWIW, YES, I have used both.

FMarini
11/02/2001, 12:23 AM
Hi:
this is actually quite simple. Go w/ the DSB, and if you have fish which dig up sand then you could do one of two things. 1) place the DSB in the sump, not in the main tank, either use no substrate or minimal substrate the main tank. 2) keep the DSB in the main tank but place a piece of egg crating(the stuff used for flor lighting) about 1/2-1" below the surface...this way it prevents the fish from disrupting too much of the DSB.

James is right on the money as well. Why go thru the hassle of setting up a plenum, when you get the same bang for the buck w/ a DSB.
my opinion
frank

NASAReefKeeper
11/03/2001, 10:02 AM
Good Inputs...My thinking was leaning toward a plenum.

I have egg crate and pvc already...

Less sand is needed ($)

less worry about possible gas releases.

Just wanted to try it....

Pretty weak arguments I grant you...

guess I have to find some fine mesh screen though...