PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Looking for a nice state park to tent camp at for this winter sugg?

becon776
08/12/2004, 06:11 PM
hello to all you down there in hurricane land?! (has that sucker passed yet?)
I am up in rochester, Ny and after, well, a sh*tty summer I can already see that I'm gonna want to get away this winter. The problem is... little spare change to do it (excludes and fancy hotels) and an unfamiliarity with the land.
Here is what I am thinking. I am looking for a place (probably in the keys I would imagine) where it will be nice and balmy (to a northerner that equals 70-80) at around february 19. I am thinking of tent camping with the wife and possibly the kid (7). I would like to have at the campsite access to a beach and also good snorkeling environment (reef) that I won't encounter jaws at. A family / laid back environment is key I don't want to have to worry too much about having my tent broke into :) Also don't want to get bitten by any crazy snakes, spiders or alligator (sort of kidding, but haven't reawlly camped outside of northeast so sort of not kidding. The worst we have is poison ivy)

Am I dreaming or would this be possible? I know that these places probably book up super fast so I guess I need to get on this.
Thank you!
Ben (swimming b/c its a balmy 60 outside!)

LawnTodd
08/12/2004, 06:51 PM
Try John Pennycamp State Park in Key Largo

Treeman
08/12/2004, 07:33 PM
Two more good places are Long Key State Park in Long key and Bahia Honda State Park. The one that Todd said is first and then Long Key and Bahia Honda.

gpajon
08/12/2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by becon776
I won't encounter jaws at. A family / laid back environment is key I don't want to have to worry too much about having my tent broke into :) Also don't want to get bitten by any crazy snakes, spiders or alligator (sort of kidding, but haven't reawlly camped outside of northeast so sort of not kidding. The worst we have is poison ivy)

I don't want to scare you off but Jawsyou will never see here cause we don't get many great whites round here, you will however see nurse sharks, bull sharks, tigers, hammerheads, lemons, grey reef sharks and kudas. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much about anything in the water. Now as far as your tent goes............. we got MOSQUITOS, spiders, huge roaches, scorpions, snakes, opposums, coons, and did I mention MOSQUITOS. Come on down to our paradise and enjoy time here taking in as much of nature as you can handle.......:D

Seriously though. There are lots of places to check out down here.and the places already suggested are probably the best places to take on the reefs. Just remember no collecting...:cool:

Gon

mickey57
08/12/2004, 10:40 PM
.....Check the KOA web site.These are great places to camp,or they have cabins for your pleasure.I have used them all over the U.S.A. Pick out the ones on the rivers,There are many.You can also map your trip with KOA.Better than ole stuffy hotels.
....................Mickey

reefy_joe
08/12/2004, 10:57 PM
You'll have to do a little research and a little planning - As in make reservations now - but itll be worth it. Look up Pine Island SP in Pine island sound. At the time you are planning your trip, we are still prone to some cold snaps, which are accomanied by strong winds so there's no garantees, but if you are blessed with a nice-weather weekend... Its better than anyone can make it sound. I believe the website to make reservations is something like Reserveamerica. Hey, I bet if you went there tonight, you'd have the whole place to yourself! LOL Good luck!

Bullredchaser
08/16/2004, 10:42 AM
You may want to get a wet suit because the water in the Keys in Feb is freezing.We did some night dives last year around the same time with 3mm suits and a hood and couldnt take it after 20 minutes they said my face and lips where blue.

reefy_joe
08/16/2004, 02:06 PM
Correction, its not Pine Island SP, its Cayo Costa. Hope its still there, joking aside.

PRC
08/18/2004, 12:32 PM
Stay at Bahia Honda, snorkel at Looe Key.
Scariest thing in the water is the 'cuda's IMO. Not that I think they'll bother you, just pretty creepy critters.
Bullredchaser, this guy's from NY man, not one of us wimpy Floridians. Keys water in Feb will probably be too hot for him...

Treeman
08/18/2004, 06:01 PM
Yep, to him this will be like a hot tub.:D