PDA

View Full Version : first club VOTE.....Vote Now

wasabi
08/12/2004, 05:45 PM
do we want to collect dues with an organised board of directors to run the club, or do we want to pass the hat and have informal meetings with experienced hobbiests directing the meetings.

Mafiaman
08/12/2004, 05:54 PM
I don't think we need a board of directors to run things, but I do feel we need one to carry out what the membership votes on.
So the Board is guided by the club not vice versa

Harleyguy
08/12/2004, 10:37 PM
I think that if we (the club) will have expenses we need to have dues and not passing of the hat. Inevitably when you pass the hat you will always seem to come up short, and then someone has to come out of pocket (usually who ever is in charge) to cover the balance. I also feel that we do need a board of directors of sorts, anytime $ is involved there has to be checks and balances. Also I love to idea of voting on everything, and a club for the people by the people, but this typically leads to anarchy. If we treat the board like a town council, have them keep up with the daily club "to dos� and at meeting have votes on appropriate topics; I think this would cut down on some of foreseeable disagreements. I also feel that the seats on the board should be limited to a term in office (not unlike the president) this would afford others that want a chance to "direct" the club the opportunity to do so.

One last thought. The other problem I see with having "an experianced honniest" "direct" the meetings is the old saying too many indians and not enough cheefs. Who decides who is the "experianced" hobbiest? a vote? well then that's an elected official. if we don't "ellect an official than i can see arguments between people that want to be in charge and opinions as to the direction of the club. The reason we have elected officials is to make the hard to make desisions for the good of the country, state, and in this case club. And like the real world not everyone all the time will like the final desision but we must have faith that what is being done is for the good of the hole. A perfect example of this is; We have a vote ona topic, and the vote comes out a dead tie. The councel made up of an odd number of voters. would then vote to determin the outcome. I think that is very fair.

Mafiaman
08/13/2004, 01:33 AM
I see a disadvantage to voting here, walker bys can vote.
Meaning any one in RC can vote here.
We should use our forums for voting and announce that vote is being held here.

Ehydo
08/13/2004, 10:01 AM
I think that the board should have limited terms also. Maybe a year or so. Also if there are dues coming in there needs to be good accounting for the expenditures. If not everyone will think that their money is wasted. Maybe voting on purchases and such above a certain dollar amount.