PDA

View Full Version : Free fish!

desert_reefer
08/12/2004, 07:44 AM
I was given a call yesterday from a local md's office here in town, and a tenant in an office has recently moved out in their complex and it has a huge saltwater tank in it and they just left it with no one to take care of it. Well anyways They said there's about 7-8 fish in it and there free for the taking. Just so they don't starve. I am going down there today to pick them up if anyone is interested I know there is a med. tomato clown, some sort of puffer, a few wrasses, and others. I was standing at the front door looking in because it was locked so I couldn't get a good look in there. I'm going to go down there at 3:00 p.m. today so I will know more then. LMK if you are looking for free fish.

LVfishguy
08/12/2004, 08:19 AM
What ever doesn't find a home I can take at the store if someone doesn't mind getting them there. What is going to happen to the tank?

desert_reefer
08/12/2004, 08:48 AM
It's a built in tank. Viewable from 2 sides. I'm going to see if I can scavange anything else when no ones looking.

desert_reefer
08/12/2004, 11:31 AM
I just found out they're turning it into an atrium, which means I will be able to get some pumps, and maybe the lighting.
Jeff

desert_reefer
08/12/2004, 02:50 PM
Hey chris! I'll probably end up doing that I just don't want to see these fish die. I was just hoping to help out a fellow reefer. I know the description is vague, I might post what they are after I get them. I just don't have the room to hold them for too long.
Jeff

TippyToeX
08/12/2004, 03:35 PM
Ooohh I love free! :D Do let us know what they have if you are able Jeff. Thanks for the heads-up.

the Undone guy
08/12/2004, 04:06 PM
yea let us know=) I'm looking to get a flame angel, and free is good!

desert_reefer
08/12/2004, 04:29 PM
I'm going down pretty soon so I'll let you all know just keep watching.
Jeff

desert_reefer
08/12/2004, 08:16 PM
Alright I have 5 out of the 8 fish. 3 wrasses were just too fast to catch in an 8x3x3 tank. it is a beautiful tamk though. I have a panther grouper, 2 tomato clowns, and possibly a porcupine puffer if my in laws don't take them. LMK if anyone wants them!
Jeff

the Undone guy
08/12/2004, 08:23 PM
what are they doing with the snails/rocks/sand/etc etc? i'll help clean up for some critters=)

desert_reefer
08/12/2004, 08:35 PM
It was a fish only tank. You could use a pair of tomato clowns couldn't you?
Jeff

the Undone guy
08/12/2004, 10:40 PM
maybe! i have to see em though....once i fall in love with em i wont be able to resist.

i went to exotic tropicals or whatever down on Jones and Cheyenne and fell in love with a fire angel....and somehow i ended up spending $120 out the door. I got some seaweed, some freeze dried krill, and some cyclop-eeze! Not to mention a cleaner shrimp and a bunch o'snails.

I think i'd be interested in them clowns but im scared of overstocking my tank too fast. Its already going on 2 months and i have 1 zebra moray, 2 chromis, 1 rainfords goby, and one fire angel...too fast i tell myself, but i cant help it=(

TippyToeX
08/13/2004, 01:28 AM
OK not to discourage you from giving two good clowns a home (mind you clowns are a soft sport for me) but do know this... Once they mature (if they are not already) those will be two mean clowns IMO & IME. Tomatoes are wicked biters and defensive. That and they do get big.

Do a lot of research on them before you think of buying. :) I'd hate to see you have to take your reef down to get those guys out.

FWIW, my .02

the Undone guy
08/13/2004, 02:20 AM
yea i figure when im ready i'll put my 2 false percula's in...they're not too aggresive, only when they're hungry~

desert_reefer
08/13/2004, 08:07 AM
I actually took 'em to Jacque last night. I don't have my tank set up and my in-law's only have a 50g pretty well stocked. I knew they wouldn't last in a bucket, obviously. The tomatoes were med. sized, and yes they will be aggressive. Clowns are great though. I did get a good sized Lamarck's Angelfish. beautiful fish, I don't think I've ever seen one. Ah well Jacque will find a good home for them.
Jeff