PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on tank decor...

PhoenixINX
08/10/2004, 10:39 PM
Since we tend to be open about everything, and I value your opinion...

... share with me what you think of these decorations.

I'm one that LOVES the look of a reef, but realistically its not something that I want to get into! I'm more a FO guy...

Next best thing? Dead corals? :D

So you tell me... I had the orange coral in nearly a year ago, only to remove it because I didn't care for it at the time. Now after consideration, it's back along with two others. What do you think?

http://www.crawfordz.com/chris/8-10-04-sml.JPG

fishdoc11
08/10/2004, 11:08 PM
I think it looks faky to be honest. I like the rocks and don't mind the look of bleached out corals once they get some stuff on them but I dont like dyed corals or the new fake corals. I also like the look of plastic plants in a FO. Some of the plants look better than others and you have to sift through them to see. You also might try growing some macro if you have even minimal lighting. If it crashes it won't hurt the fish and you can probably keep it from doing that if you trim it fairly often. Macro might also help your nutient problem. This is all JMO. Ultimately it really is what you like though and if you like it that's all that really matters. Your fish ceartainly seem happy:-)
Chris

PhoenixINX
08/10/2004, 11:41 PM
Yeah fish wise they have been doing VERY well.

My Tusk is becoming very subserviant to the tank, assuming his "*****" role. Whereas typically I see this species end up doing.

The Angel and Sohal are the Alpha fish, whereas I'm seeing the Tang win most bouts.

I'll admit I'm hoping to build here in the next year, and the 700 or 900G from glasscages.com has perked my interest. It's within budget, and for FO shouldn't be that hard a task.

I keep telling myself to stop investing in this tank, and put that money into a kitty for the new one.

Anyone want to help carry in a 12ft tank??? Ewwww!

loyalty
08/11/2004, 03:03 AM
the aquascaping in your tank looks nice. To me, that huge red coral is killing the effect. whatever you decide, good luck

gflat65
08/11/2004, 07:14 AM
I with fishdoc. I like the more natural look. Some live rock and some macro will do the job aesthetically and help out in nutrient export. Just another opinion.

Oldschooler
08/11/2004, 08:15 AM
As an artist, I would tell you that it's not WHAT you are trying to do that is [relatively] bad, but rather, HOW you are doing it. For example, in our shop, we LOATHE un-naturalness (i.e: "rainbow-colored" gravels, "action" ornaments, laser-light decorations, marbles, etc.) BUT, in a few aquariums, we've made "fake" things look nice aesthetically. I have African Cichlid aquariums with "blue ice" rock (green glass rock) and it looks GREAT because, well, green glass rock looks great! Also, composition can work wonders- your tank pictured here is unbalanced. You have Lace Rock on one side, and a lot of color on the other. Perhaps evening it all out would at least help it to be easier on the eyes, so to speak.

Either way, it's always YOURS to please yourself. Don't let anyone else influence you unduly, as WE/THEY aren't paying for the stuff!!!

~Roberto