PDA

View Full Version : 55k bulbs

nolofinwe
08/09/2004, 04:19 PM
If coral farmers and aquariums have success with 55k lighting, does that mean it will work for aquarists?

I have never tried a bulb under 10k, suggesting using a 55k bulb will get you a littany of responses suggesting you will have out of control algae growth, poor coloration, and a horrendous aesthetic.

I run 20k, xm bulbs on my tank (250 watts) and today for the first time i adjusted the blinds by the tank to allow a bit of sun to hit the tank. this picture was taken at five o clock, with just a sliver of sunlight coming over the house next door, and falling into my tank.
http://www.nolodigital.com/misc/sunvsmh.jpg

even though it is dappled sun, it is brighter than my MH's by a few orders of magnitude, and even though it is yellower, I find the color more realistic and enjoyable.

is placing a 55k bulb on the tank realistic? or am i inviting disaster? I have no algae problems with the 20ks whatsoever, would this change that? could I expect a more noticeable "ripple" effect? or is that not a function of color temperature?

lastly, would I have to re-acclimate my corals? SPS up high in the tank, and ricordias and a cold in the lower portion.

thanks!

Anthony Calfo
08/10/2004, 09:53 PM
there is much to say here my friend... and yet it is largely subjective.

Its not fair or realistic for us to delve too deeply into questions of would such bulb changes be "better" or "worse" (beyond the fact that the question is nearly moot in unnatural "garden reef" mixed species displays)... we must first define what you and I agree defines "better" or "worse".

For me it might be faster growth, when I dont care about the aesthetic.

For you it may be the preservation or improvement of certain colors.

In many cases you cannot have your cake and eat it too (optimal growth and color) with systems like yours trying to keep corallimorphs and shallow water sps for example.

I'm not trying to skirt your question(s), mate... but these have been answered before in some/many ways. To revisit what is known:

warm colored lamps do not cause algae... nutrients with any adequate light cause algae. Most aquarists have at least some nutrient export deficiencies in their systems, which are expressed when lamps age or stray, for example.

numerous systems use 5,500K type lamps and kin with bluer lamps to gain better growth with good color (in colrs and the aesthetic)

much of the mystery to you/me/us all regarding what is a stressful change or upgrade in lighting can be answered with a good PAR or Lux meter. Considering the thousands of dollars invested in your reef... the $100-300 for a light meter is money well spent.

I'm not sure if any of this helps you :p but please do advise us of your progress and any future questions.

kindly,

Anthony