PDA

View Full Version : looking for zoo's

nolofinwe
08/09/2004, 03:27 PM
howdy folks,

anybody interested in fraggin thier zoos for the upcoming meeting? i'd be interested if anybody's willing. i can pay cash, or ive got a mag 7, icecap timer, and a big, brown pavona if anybody is in the market for a fixer-upper.

talk to you guys later. is there still an interest in the website? i've got a general impression it would remain unused and if that's the case, i'd just assume not put the work in.

If we do think we're going to use it, i'd be happy to finish it up.

tsalter
08/09/2004, 07:51 PM
I don't know the quick answer for the website. But this is what I think.

When we all got together and talked about a website it was to have a place to send new members and garner more interest for our club. A couple members were going to come up with a logo and try to get the ball running. This was a few months ago.

You stepped in a put together a really nice site for the club and basically I put any work that I was going to do on hold because you can do it much more effiectently than me.

As for the funtionality and usability of an informational site. If it garnered one more member for our club it would be worth it.

As for the phpbb it might be used in place of this forum for club meetings and a spot for a gallery to show off local tanks etc. I don't think it would be used much more than this bbs but it would be used instead. I don't know if that is enough use to garner working more on the bb part or not?

I think it would be great if you would finish the site but I think that it needs to be a collaborative process, I know this is the bane of web designers having more than one contact person. I am not in doubt that the site would look awesome if you did it on your own but I think a few members were interested in Logo design etc. Maybe others will chime in with their thoughts. Maybe we can make it a focus of the next meeting. I will volunteer my help in anyway possible if you want to finish it up. But I think we have to get the ball rolling on at least a page of information outlining our club and meeting schedule where to find info etc.

As for zoos I can wrangle some up since I will be moving my tank soon it will be easy to frag some. I have a pretty big zoo pile going right now what colors are you interested in?

later

t

nolofinwe
08/10/2004, 12:47 AM
I feel very lucky in that I really enjoy my profession.

I would be happy to set up whatever sort of web presence we felt would benefit the club, assuming it would serve a purpose and would actually be used.

pouring work into a site that was designed to attract members and spread some sort of mission statement for GMR (green mountain reefers) would feel alot less redundant than setting up a bbs service when we already have a national forum like reef central.

it would be a piece of cake to make GMR a portal to our current space on RC along with making a static page spreading general info, along with making a nice updatable page with member's tanks info.

has anyone checked out my site at www.nolofinwe.com? I use a very user friendly content management system that allows me to update the entire site very painlessly.

Tomorrow I will update the work I've done with a portal site. give me untill 8pm and I'll have a working version of something that will actually serve a purpose. I'll donate the server space if you guys chip in for the domain name (won't cost us more than 8 bucks alltogether. ) at the very leat we will have a site we can use to recruit more members and use as a launching pad to RC and any other resource we feel appropriate.

tsalter
08/10/2004, 06:28 AM
That sounds cool! I didn't understand that we would be able to update the site. Domain name is no problem. I'll give you the money at the next meeting.

As for the bb you are probably right. It would be redundant. I just am not a great fan of Reef Central (though I think it has been a bit better recently) but if we have all the info that we want up on the site (pictures of tanks etc) and leave the message board here that would be fine. Thanks for all the work that you are putting into this.

Tom

SHOmuchFUN
08/10/2004, 02:46 PM
Nolo, sounds great, and I did check out your site and it's really nice. I like the functionality and simplicity of it. I do think it's important that we have a member page where we can post a profile and some pictures of our setup where people can comment.

I also think that if it's possible, maybe we should just have a message forum where we can post what's going on in the club, so we can reference back and forth. I was looking at the Boston Area Reef Society (or whomever they're called) web page and they have a lot of nice features in it... Somebody did a nice job setting up their page. I think that if we have something similar (but obviously much more tailored to our needs), it would be a job wonderfully done!

Brad A.
08/10/2004, 06:45 PM
Its nice that there is so much web design talent in our club!

Sorry I've been distant for the last few months, school has been kicking my butt.

Nevertheless, I think having the website up for us to have pics of local tanks is great, as well as a forum for us to chat is also very useful.

Lets go for it. I can chip in some $$ for domain name and whatever else.

Nolo, your site looks sweet!

Lastly, my place is small, but, we can meet over here around 7pm almost any night (if some one hasnt already volunteered for this months meeting) I have frags and some new blue zo's. I'm doing out patient work now until Oct, so I should be able to participate in the club for a while.

Lets plan some activities and go forward...recruiting new members, website, monthly activities etc...

nolofinwe
08/10/2004, 06:52 PM
I finished up the design, but I'm running out to pub quiz. I'll finish the scripts when I get back tonight and I'll have something up tomorrow.

later guys, thanks for the complements.

nolofinwe
08/11/2004, 07:54 PM
Oh right, website.

OK. we're live and in color at vma.nolofinwe.com (http://vma.nolofinwe.com)

If anyone is up tonight and bored, and wants to get their password and username up and running, email me, or pm or whatever.

Check out the site, look at the member's pages, and check out my pages (click on "nolofinwe") to get an idea of what each members pages will look like.

any more ideas send them on over.

Normally, I charge over 1000$ for a site with an integrated CMS. But if anybody can lend me 80 gallons worth of containers for my tank move I could call it even. :D

Brad A.
08/11/2004, 08:01 PM
Sweet!
Very nice job.

Brad A.
08/11/2004, 08:05 PM
I need to get my tank info with pics over to you..

nolofinwe
08/11/2004, 08:08 PM
thats the beauty; no you dont

Ill get you a password and username and you can do it yourself from mt.nolofinwe.com (http://mt.nolofinwe.com)

you around right now? Ill PM my # over to you and I could give you a quick walk through of updating.

same goes for anyone else.

tsalter
08/12/2004, 11:42 AM
nolo when are you moving? I have a crap load of 5 gallon buckets being sent to me I can hook you up. I am going to move my tank sometime next week

T

nolofinwe
08/12/2004, 11:59 AM
I gotta figure out what I'm going to do about a stand, first, but probably sometime in the m\next month.

thanks a bunch.

tsalter
08/12/2004, 12:04 PM
I got a woodshop if ya need it

T

nolofinwe
08/12/2004, 12:12 PM
No kidding? I might take you up on that. I was thinking of throwing together one of those fabulous GARF.org stands, but the closest thing I have to a work area is a cutting board.

if you've got some time I'll help with your tank move if you'd be willing to give me a hand on the stand.

You're in (or right near) burlington, right?

tsalter
08/12/2004, 12:19 PM
http://preska.net/wood.html

I made eriks hood/stand and brads hood,

We just bought a house yesterday in Milton. My tank is currently in Jericho. I will be moving most of my shop tomorrow I believe. I will be pretty busy with house stuff but could fit in a stand in the near future. Let me know I start work on the 24th so things get a bit hectic after that. what ever you want we can do it up.

I demolished our kitchen this morning and the girlfriend isn't to happy so i have to go do some plumbing cabinetry etc..

later

T

nolofinwe
08/12/2004, 01:04 PM
Ha, i believe it.

I go to jericho on the weekends to visit mill brook bonsai, it's gorgeous out there.

SHOmuchFUN
08/16/2004, 08:29 AM
I also have a few 18gal rubbermaids laying around if you need them...

nolofinwe
08/16/2004, 12:46 PM
well, i really appreciate the offers guys, but i'm starting to worry about the structural integrity of the future spot for the tank. I noticed a hairline fracture along the opposite wall running in a 45 degree angle. not very reassuring.

TSalter: how much do you think it would cost me to build the stand? id need eight, 8' sections of 2x4 as well as a sheet of 3/4" plywood and whatever else I'd need to cover the stand (im assuming a few more sections of 1/4" plywood.

not to mention nails, glue, etc.

SHOmuchFUN
08/16/2004, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't spare any expense when it comes to Tom's work...
I let him have full design control and it came out great! I bought all the oak with him and let him go. If you're looking for a good quality unit, I'd recommend having tom make something nice for you. Although I would recommend a different flap-stay for the canopy :P

tsalter
08/16/2004, 05:57 PM
Its for a 75 right? I usually don't use 2x4's just straight ply and harwood. cost is kinda a factor of how nice you want it to look and to function I think erik was totaled over $200 for his but that is about as nice as you are going to get anywhere. I have nails glue biscuits nail gun mic sundries etc.

Erik just needs another flap stay and he would be fine. Naw wait a good nock on the head once in a while will straigten him out.

I guess the question is do you want to slather paint it or have it as a fine piece of furniture.

Oh yeah and call me tom have no Idea where I came up with tsalter but it is the stupidest name.

nolofinwe
08/17/2004, 10:06 PM
slathering paint is my specialty.

my tank currently sits on cinder blocks. pretty much anything would be an upgrade.

I'm just looking for something light that will hold a tank and hide my stuff and I can paint to match the room.

tsalter
08/18/2004, 08:39 PM
Cool Let me think about it and draw something up. All my energies are going into my kitchen build right now. But I will probably have time spare this weekend. You want doors on it right? (Not open) How big is your sump?

I imagine ball park $50-90 for materials.

Tom

nolofinwe
08/20/2004, 12:03 PM
Hey thanks for the estimate, but it appears I'll be going down to mass this weekend. Would it be alright if I just keep you posted, and when you've got some free time whenever, we could do it then?

instead of doors I was thinking of enclosing the whole thing seamlessly, but then using cupboard magnets or somthing of the sort to make a completely removable front panel.

Thanks Tom, don't mean to string you along when you're so busy.

Have you tried logging into VMA yet?

tsalter
08/20/2004, 01:03 PM
No worries. Full frontal removal is cool. No login yet pretty much 24/7 on the kitchen and the move. Will hopefully get there this weekend.

Keep me posted i'll keep planning.

Tom