PDA

View Full Version : Thank you!

Kirbster
08/09/2004, 02:39 PM
I was going to say "I love you" in the title, but that sounded a bit over-the-top. :p

Anyway, this lighting rant is long overdue!

I was telling someone the other day that it seems to me there are a lot of people out there that keep aquarium lighting as a hobby and use live corals to show off how awesome their lights are. Let's get back to keeping and reproducing animals successfully and using the lights as means to that end, not as the focal point themselves.

Personally, I think if just half of the enthusiasm and energy put into lighting debates was shown toward truly understanding nutrition and the heterotrophic nature of corals, the hobby would take a sudden and giant leap forward.

Just my opinion. Good work, Anthony!

Anthony Calfo
08/10/2004, 07:40 PM
hey, Kirbster! (AKA "the Invisible Man") :D

Thanks kindly,

And so true...

[I was telling someone the other day that it seems to me there are a lot of people out there that keep aquarium lighting as a hobby and use live corals to show off how awesome their lights are.]

its simply amazing/staggering to visit some friends and fellow hobbyists and see how much money is thrown as buying expensive light systems that are wholly inappropriate... or grossly neglected (discolored water, dusty lamps, lenses, etc) even if properly sized/fitted.

It does feel to me at times like we are spinning our wheels with redundant if not obsessive examinations on reef lighting (with little new or revolutionary top show for it as of late) when some of those energies indeed would have been better spent on examining feeding issues for example. Very good point!

And one more thing... I love you too, man :) Hmmm... that reminds me of a beer commercial... which reminds me I need a beer. Thank you for the reminder.

Ant-