PDA

View Full Version : Is 83 degrees too hot?

cknox2
08/08/2004, 07:12 PM
Hi all.
I just added 6 T5's to my 75 gallon. they are in a shallow canopy so only 4 or 5 inches off the water. As it stands now, with the balzing summer heat, my temp peaks at 83.2 degrees just before the lights go off. That is with no glass tops on the tank. at night I'm at 80-81 degrees. Is that too hot?? Since this is the hottest Nashville gets, I know it won't get hotter than 83.2 or so.
Thanks

Oldschooler
08/08/2004, 08:22 PM
I don't think so. Most of the tanks at the shop REGULARLY get over 84 degrees for a few hours at a time. I do believe if it is ALWAYS this warm, you may have a problem, and might need a chiller, but this isn't your case. Just keep an eye on it!!!

~Roberto

fishdoc11
08/08/2004, 09:44 PM
>85 is generally considered the "danger point" when stuff starts to bleach etc... So you are fine at 83 but fairly close to that point. Some advocate keeping tanks at 84 degrees and do it very successfully(Dr Ron in particular). IMO keeping a tank closer to 78-80 gives you more room in case something goes wrong(air conditioner goes out etc...). Placing a couple of fans in back of the canopy blowing in will probably bring your temp down 3-5 degrees but you will have to top up more. You can get 2 fans and a 12 volt converter at http://www.allelectronics.com including shipping for less than $20 if you are interested. Oh,and let us know how the T5's do:-)
Chris