PDA

View Full Version : coaxing clowns to spawn

hesaias
10/15/2001, 07:54 PM
I have a pair of mated A. ocellaris clownfish. The y live in a dedicated 20 gallon tank with thier host anemone, a H. crispa. They are fat, well fed fish. I feed spirulina flake, formula VHP, formula 1, mysis shrimp, and fresh chopped scallops, once a day feedings. The water is 78-80f. 12 hour photo period. I even put thier tank in our bedroom to try to help them out:D
Still, no spawns. The clowns are 1.5- 2 years old, and have been together since they were both male, which was about a year ago.

Anything I can do to nudge them toward spawning?

hesaias
10/18/2001, 03:48 PM
^

Robdean2
10/22/2001, 11:18 PM
Hey, I hope folks reply to your post because I have the same question!

I bought a couple of Tomatos and they have 60 gallons to themselves. The smaller one has already taken to a clam shell that I picked up with some live rock. Neither one go far from it, even durring feeding.

Anyway, after reading your post and other articles, I increased my temp to 79 and my light timer to 14 hours. But it would be nice to get some other suggestions.

Let me know how you do!

Breef
10/23/2001, 08:09 PM
First off I haven't ever spawned any saltwater varieties but I know by experience that a female full of eggs is not hard to identify. They are usually bulging,if you haven't been successful at attaining this condition with everthing in its status quo,then it may be a good idea to throw a clog into the clockworks and see what happens. Another fish of the same variety,another variety,maybe even separate them and leave them where they can still see one another. These are all tricks that have been used to varying degrees of success with freshwater and fish are fish.Normally there are certain foods that are the richest for a certain type of fish and is what they are attracted to to condition to spawn.

Breef
10/23/2001, 08:13 PM
That last post was a bad number?

Aquaman
10/24/2001, 06:45 PM
Good question,

I also have a mated pair of saddle back clowns in a 40 with a haddoni carpet for almost a year now and they have not spawned either. Several months ago though I was up in Terra haute(sp) at Inland Aquatics and talked to one of the guys there and they said heavy feeding will induce them to spawn.