PDA

View Full Version : Lighting donation

LVfishguy
08/06/2004, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, I currently maintain a couple tanks in one of the Las Vegas Community centers and the kids LOVE the tanks that are in there. Every time I am there to clean them, the kids are always watching me very intently.
Anyway, I was talking to couple of the people that work there and they were asking if they could get another crab or something of that sort (guesst they had a hairy hermit before I started). Of course I told them they couldn't with the big nasty triggers and puffers. We got to talking and I decided that I was going to try and find a tank for them and do a kind of reef.
well I am pretty sure that I have got a tank lined up. I has another customer that is upgrading on of their f/w systems, and I am sure that they aren't going to want the old tank. It's a 35 corner tank that is about 20" tall. Has a stand and a canister filter and all the basics. I think that I have enough of the other stuff to get it running. All that I need is some lights.
I am not looking to do the worlds greatest tank. I just want to get some easy things in there to give the kids something to look at. I am also going to be taking care of this tank also. I am already there every two weeks and I think that I have enough room in my contract to keep it up without having to charge them any more money to do it.
thanks everyone and let me know what you think!
~Chris~

TippyToeX
08/06/2004, 03:15 PM
So you would be looking to setup the tank with just softies and maybe a few LPS? :)

Corner tanks are so fussy when it comes to lights IMHO. Difficult to place PC or VHO. I have both kinds of ballasts I can give you Chirs, but would you be able to make it all fit in there? :D Or are you looking for a pendant lighting setup?

LVfishguy
08/07/2004, 08:06 AM
I'll be willing to accept what ever people got. I know all about trying to light a corner tank. I have one myself and I have always pondered the whole loght thing if I ever turned it into a reef tank. I can make it work.
I'd more than likely do a softie set up with some easy LPS. People alway like the movement in a soft coral tank away.
I'm still planning and i don't even know for sure if I have the tank yet anyway. I'll let you know though Amy thanks for your help.!

TippyToeX
08/08/2004, 12:03 AM
No problem :) I'd be glad to help. I think it is awesome to introduce people (most of all kids) to this hobby and the reefs. Kudos to you for wanting to help set this up for them! Keep us updated. I should have some softy frags for it when it is ready too.

opihi
08/08/2004, 03:20 PM
chris, i don't have any lights to donate, but i can donate some coral when the tank's ready for it.

fwiw, i used a MH pendant on my old 54 corner. it was lit pretty well.

LVfishguy
08/09/2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks Jeff I am going to have very limited money to stcok the tank with so everything that I can get donated would bevery cool. I might even be able to get the Reef club a little credit for it too.

I take care of a 55 corner that has 4 65wt pc's in it and it does pretty well. the back corner is a over flow so that part isn't a problem but I work with it. I'm gonna have to give it a little thought and see what I can come up with. I'll probably go with some PC's mainly because of the cost (or lack there of). I also am going to have to come up with a canopy for it of some sort.

opihi
08/09/2004, 12:31 PM
the corner tanks can be tricky, but you do have a couple of options. lmk if you wanna chat about it a little bit.

dallast
08/10/2004, 12:08 PM
happy to donate some corals as well! have lots of mushrooms, three types of gorgonia....and hey, always have xenia....ha, ha, ha!

VegasMike
08/10/2004, 01:25 PM
Let me know when you are ready for some stuff and I will see what I have at the time. Right now, I have a few Birdnest frags, Robusta Frags, Cerealis Frags (more like small colonies), a few muchrooms, Pocilopora and a Partridge in a pear stag. I might also be able to break off a branch of green Frogspawn.

I set up a 75 reef for my son's school about three and a half years ago as a reef. I haven't checked on it in a while, but last I heard, the science teacher was trading mushrooms for supplies at ATM.

Mike

LVfishguy
08/11/2004, 10:38 AM
Cool That might be where ATM is getting their cool rics.