PDA

View Full Version : Your coral propogation book.

bristlebasher
08/06/2004, 08:13 AM
Hallo Anthony

Have recently purchased your book and must say that it is both an informative and enjoyable read.I really appreciate the informal manner in which it is written and have giggled a number of times at some of the things you manage to come up with.

Most aqaurists are truly strange beings:p

What I would like to ask though is - why was the particular ring binding chosen for your book.

It cost me more than $50 with shipping and I think a more hard wearing binding would have been in order ?It detracts from an otherwise excellent publication - some pages have allready torn out due to my incesent paging:confused: .

Maybe this can be improved upon for future buyers ?

Cheers

Hilton

Anthony Calfo
08/06/2004, 08:57 AM
cheers, Hilton

thanks kindly for your kudos and critique :) Indeed, we aquarists are a unique lot :p

regarding the binding... the choice was deliberate. There were a couple of key reasons for it... principally utility and economics. Speaking to the former, with 450 pages as handbook likely to be read and reread as you are doing with yours, the book was too thick to be perfect bound (AKA paperback) and last much beyond a single read without splitting the soft spine.

The recommendation to use a comb bind instead was encouraged by many so that the book would splay flat and undamaged like that fantastic series by Humman (Reef Creatures, Reef Coral, etc.) The only other option would be to have printed it as hardcover, which speaks to economics - the hobby industry has a tough time selling books. And the magic retail number is about $40. Anything over $40 does not sell well at all, with just a few exceptions. Youd be amazed to know what some fantastic books by well-known authors have sold very low numbers only because the book is not "affordable" to the mainstream market.

So while advanced aquarists and book collectors perhaps like you may have a preference and be willing to buy hardcover, you (we!) are in the very small minority.

To be able to get this information out to a wider audience, it was necessary to produce the text in this way or the like.

but kind thanks again for your comments.

with kindest regards,

Anthony

kentracey
08/14/2004, 01:07 PM
Just a thought. Anyone who hasn't read this book should put it on their list. It really is a great read and unlike other reef books actually has a little humour in it. Like bristlebasher said, it actually had me laughing quite a few times. A good example of this would be when Anthony tells a story of how he was fragging zoos one day with a knife and acccidentally placed the knife in his mouth to hold it. Needless to say he wasn't tasting or feeling much for a while after that. Anyway, he tells the story much better than I (thank goodness). It's not a pretty picture book, but rather a lifetime of experiences that we can all enjoy and learn something from.Pick it up you'll love it.

reefer44
08/18/2004, 02:38 PM
i agree.....i have read (not just looked at the pictures :) ) of about 5 reef books and have enjoyed this one and learned the most from this book...although not to much of a begginers book...it was a very informative and helpful book (full of great ideas and gave me several ideas for my upcoming sps reef)

Brad

bristlebasher
08/19/2004, 12:43 AM
Yes , I would agree with you - it is a very informative book.
If you are looking for nice pictures - this one has none !
If you are looking for any easy read and LOADS of information on keeping corals and some new ideas that you have'nt seen in other books - this is the one !

I hartily recommend it:D

reeftechie
08/27/2004, 01:53 PM
I have read it about 12 times and will continue to read it again and again. It is by far the best book I have read thus far, and I am in the early stages of setting up a farm to grow out corals for myself and friends. I have the room for it, so now is the time to give it a try.
Bad idea to keep this book near the thrown (you know what I am talking about) your legs tend to fall asleep :D I can't put it down once i start reading.

FishyinKY
09/01/2004, 09:29 AM
Not to be real tacky here and reference another site but its a heck of a deal on both of Anthony's books.

http://fragexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=31591#post31591

$30 each!!!