PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a Rose anenome from??

JG
10/14/2001, 08:00 PM
I've been looking into getting a small rose anenome. Anyone know of a place (or person) thats sells these? I'm looking for a small captive raised rose with great color.

4thmaninthefire
10/18/2001, 09:14 PM
Try www.coralconnection.com they are located in New Orleans, LA. I live in Baton Rouge, LA I go there often they have a huge rose in a 800 gal. Show tank. I believe they sell/ship them there also. I know they fetch a high price. Good Luck.www.coralconnection.com

JG
10/19/2001, 11:41 AM
just got this little captive bred rose in today

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=281304

ronl
10/19/2001, 11:54 AM
JG,
That beautiful. Where did you get it and how much did it cost you?

Ron

JG
10/19/2001, 12:25 PM
Ron,

I ordred it from Aqaurium Concepts in Hayward, Ca. They sell captive bread roses (small) for $125 each. I know, its a lot of money, but it was the only place I could find captive bred roses, and these also have bubble tips, not just straight tentacles

palmer59
10/19/2001, 12:34 PM
Ron I got one from Aqaurium Concepts also. I'm lucky to live close enough to be able to drive there. As of Tuesday they had about five more left in stock, they were grown under 250MH and looked pretty healthy.

Mike

JG
10/19/2001, 12:38 PM
Mike,

what lighting do you have, and did you acclimate it to the lighting?

I'm usign dual 400w Radiums over my 120...was going to cut back the photoperiod from 8-10 hours, to 4, and then increas 30 minuted each day till I'm back up to 8-10 again.

what would you recommend?

palmer59
10/19/2001, 02:20 PM
It's on a 180 with three 400W Iwasaki 65K plus two 160W URI 03s. Halides on for 10 hours, 03 on for 11 hours. I did not change the photo period. "Rosie" was placed in the bottom of the tank so the light is not as strong there. Feeding twice a week.

Mike

JG
10/19/2001, 02:27 PM
Mike,

Thanks.

Do you remember what bulb they were under...250w Iwasaki's?

palmer59
10/19/2001, 02:38 PM
250W 6500 Iwasaki is what they told me.

Mike

palmer59
10/19/2001, 02:40 PM
In the store they use 10K. Don't relly know how long they were in the store but I would say at least three weeks.

Mike

JG
10/19/2001, 02:40 PM
cool, I shouldn't have a problem acclimating it then to the 400w Radiums.

Jared Cooper
10/25/2001, 12:44 AM
I just bought a rose bubble from AC today as well and I have 400 watt 20Ks on HQI. How is everything with your rose bubble's from AC so far?

JG
10/25/2001, 09:27 AM
everything is good so far. The rose hasn't moved from the spot I placed him in yet, and I've feed him twice since I've had him. Each time its eatin a big chunk of squid.

DogueDeBordeaux
11/05/2001, 08:19 AM
I'm thinking about getting a TR rose anemone.How are the ones from AC doing?Has anyone found another source for tank raised rose anemone?

daghostryder
11/05/2001, 02:39 PM
I'm GREEEEEEEN all over Very nice looking speciman. I want one sooooo badly but just can't get myself to pay that much for it. Those pics may make me change my mind !!!!

Jared Cooper
11/05/2001, 10:39 PM
My rose from AC is doing great. It has grown 50%. It still has nice bulbs. It eats like a pig and hasn't moved an inch from the little rock it came on.

By the way for any one that is interested JB sent me some info on how he gets his rose anemones to split. His roses look really good and he has loads of them. He said it was ok to repeat it so for anyone who is interested check it out.

Here's what he said:

I could try and baffle you with BS but in playing 6 years with different color variations of E. quad here is the down and dirty observations I have made on what works for me.

Water - high water flow directly on the e. quads while important to the other things in my reef, has little to do with the health and well being with my E. quads as they tend to colonize the areas of the tank that have little turbulence. ( I pulled my 3 Rio 2500's out of the tank over a year ago because of all the news of them frying tanks ) I have since not replaced them with anything but intend to soon as other corals have suffered from that decision. My tank is a revamped DAS 175 gallon. Great looking tank but they should have never used the biological filter system box and marketed it as a reef tank. I put an overflow box on it and a sump. My water turnover rate is about 1250 gallons an hour. I still run the three very small water pumps out of the old bio box in the tank because I was unable to remove the box and still replace the two wooden air stones in it. That is only to keep it from becoming a stagnant water source. I added a EuroReef F2 skimmer to the sump and run it all the time.

Light - While good lighting is important , I am just now upgrading the number of VHO's over my tank from 7 to 10 three footers. ( mostly for the needs of other corals ) The anemones as you can see from my pictures tend to like the lower portion to mid portion of the tank. At this time one side of the tank gets approximately 300 watts of VHO and the other side 400 watts of VHO. The larger colonies of E. quads are now on the side that only has 300 watts. That side also has less water movement so I don't know their motivation, light or flow, for picking that side. The tank gets some natural light in the morning and half the lights go on at 9:30am and the rest at 10:00am, half off at 9:30pm and the rest at 10:00 pm

I had 34 e.quads at last count a couple of weeks ago. I've traded and sold six others this year. All from the two I started with a little over 2 years ago. I've had a green bubble and a dark rose colored before that did nothing and declined until out of pity I gave them away. ( that was before revamping the DAS ) After putting the overflow, pump, skimmer and VHO's on the system I had the opportunity to buy two fluorescent orange e.quads from a friend that got them accidentally in an order. He does fish only and a supplier had substituted them for a fish. :-(

My alk has been low around 3 dk and as high as 10 ( seemed to have no effect on the E. quads ) I'm working on getting it under control.

My Ca has been as low as 200 and is now maintained at about 400

Salt at 1.025 to 1.026 ( this seems to be a factor when it falls much lower they don't exhibit as much a bubble on the tip)

Temp 80 to 82 degrees F

That gives you an idea of my tank set up.

Now as for splitting. My colonies do it all most at the same time and here's the kicker. I do two major water changes a year. (major for me, others may do more) I make a 44 gal rumbermaid industrial gray trash can full of RO/DI water up.

Add Instant Ocean and run a power head (the banned from the tank Rio's) for 24 hours before adding the water to the tank. I shut everything down and drain off 44 gallons of water, then pump 44 gallons back in from the trash cans. ( in the winter I add a heater to the trash can till it's within a degree or two of tank water temp) Turn every thing back on and wait a week and repeat with a second water change.

I just sit back and wait now. About a week after the water changes, that really only amounts to less than half the system, (Even less when you consider I am probably draining off some of the water from the first week when I do the second change) the fun begins. Most are anchored to live rock that provides a place for them to pull back into the darkness of a ledge or over hang or crack. They take their feeding (MYSIS shrimp with Selcon added) and instead of just partially closing they take the feeding and withdraw fully to their hiding place. They stay pretty much hidden for a week or more and when they open again they have doubled. Within weeks most have done this. Then one tends to move just a bit to anchor itself in a suitable place near the others. One or two will move farther and start a new colony of their own.

Opinions others have suggested for this are:

1. The water changes trigger a positive response that conditions are favorable to support more of themselves.

2. The water change causes a stress response and they counter by trying to preserve the species and multiply for survival reasons.

* I don't know which it is or if it's either.

Jim

(feel free to share the above with anyone that might have ideas or is interested and keep me informed on how your e. quad is doing and your experiences with them)

Jared Cooper
11/05/2001, 11:02 PM
Also here's a recent pic, my camera sucks. It isn't fully expanded cause I just fed it today.

gemtang
12/03/2001, 02:04 AM
hey jared... are any of your rose anemones for sale?? send me an email if you do. thanks

1reefkeeper
12/04/2001, 01:51 AM
i bought my from Exotic Aquarium in Sacramento, it is a very
big one. And it eats like a pig, and i got a reef golden eel from
them too, they look great together! by the way the RA is only
$120.