PDA

View Full Version : is this skimmer ideal for my settup?

loyalty
08/04/2004, 03:16 AM
http://marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idProduct=ACRM

just wanted some more knowledgeable opinions before i order
thanks

fishdoc11
08/04/2004, 06:14 AM
From what I have read that skimmer should work well for your tank although I have no experience with them personally.
Chris

reewik
08/04/2004, 07:13 AM
I too have head good things about this skimmer. I also do not have any experience with this skimmer.

kev-dog1
08/04/2004, 08:53 AM
I have two of these, and like them very much. I have a 55g and a 38g. After the initial breakin it skims pretty well. I get a 1/4" -1/2" of skimmer tea in the cup every week or so and lots of sludge build-up on the riser leading into the cup. Very sleek design.
I'm going through a tank modification period and will be adding a fluval surface skimmer to my skimmers to fix a surface skum build-up problem I've been having. Aqua C also sells a preskimmer box that does the same thing.
Good luck!
Kev

aquaman67
08/04/2004, 10:48 AM
That's the exact skimmer I use with the exact Maxi-Jet upgrade bought from the exact place I got mine!

I really recommend it. It's quite and it works.

It will take a few days, up to a week or so to break in, but it start working.

You get free shipping from marine depot if you spend over $175 so you might as well get some food, test kits or something to get the free shipping too!

BTW are you going to the reef club meeting this month?

loyalty
08/04/2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by aquaman67

You get free shipping from marine depot if you spend over $175 so you might as well get some food, test kits or something to get the free shipping too!

BTW are you going to the reef club meeting this month?

thats a good idea, i didn't know about the free shipping. As for the meeting, I'm still too much of a newb to attend one..I atleast want to have all the equipment before i go to one:D

aquaman67
08/04/2004, 01:54 PM
Dude,

That's how you will become not a newbee...

You'll get to see someone else's set up and you can ask questions or just sit back and enjoy!

You don't need to have a set up to go to a meeting, but if you don't want to that's cool too.

Maybe someday you'll make one!

aquaman67
08/04/2004, 01:58 PM
I copied this from MD...

Marine Depot is currently offering a promotion where we will ship most orders of $175 or more of non-sale items via UPS Ground for free. Discounted shipping on all other orders. Insurance will still be billed at the current rate of $0.35 per $100 increment for UPS Ground shipped orders. A minimum of $0.35 is charged per box shipped for insurance.

danieljames
08/04/2004, 02:17 PM
Hey jer......you can get those skimmers used for quite a bit cheaper if your into buying used. There is one posted on another reef site i was just at for $99, states used only a few months. They have them on ebay as well. Let me know if you want the link. And get your *** to a meeting why don't ya....but be sure to bring about 10 pounds of that homemade scampi......

loyalty
08/04/2004, 04:09 PM
ha the scampi i can do. I'm going with a stout little skimmer because I think I'll run the tank sumpless. I'm counting on your advice when it comes to stocking my tank man heh

gflat65
08/04/2004, 04:40 PM
We would love to see you. The more the merrier. aquaman is right, there are no requirements for our club meetings. Come and hang out and talk with a few people to see if you like all of us reef geeks. We're not too bad;)

PhoenixINX
08/04/2004, 05:39 PM
I run the larger one on this 120... Good stuff!!!

It out performs my out sea clone by 20x...

fishdoc11
08/04/2004, 07:23 PM
Another feel free to come to the meetings post. There are no requirements except that you are interested in reef tanks and apparently you are:-)
Chris

imsqueak
08/04/2004, 08:05 PM
I've been a member of ETRC for about a year. I cant imagine learning what I have without seeing other folks setups. Some people are inteminated by going to other people's houses but for me its and opertunity to check out what they did and apply it to my tank. No reasonable amount of reading RC will give you the knowledge MTRC will give you. Step up, join in, we're all here to help one another.

ps excuse the spelling, my norton doenst like RC's spell check.

loyalty
08/05/2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by imsqueak
No reasonable amount of reading RC will give you the knowledge MTRC will give you. Step up, join in, we're all here to help one another.

thats a good point, and thanks all for the welcome. I'll try to make the next one, but I usually work weekends

gflat65
08/05/2004, 07:26 AM
Ahhh the life of a chef:)

coralreefing
08/05/2004, 09:39 AM
I'm about to buy a skimmer for a new tank I'm setting up & I've narrowed it down to the Remora Pro & the new MRC hangon. I'm leaning toward the Remora because it has many satisfied users & the MRC is still new.

jslomo420
08/05/2004, 11:00 AM
Loyalty, I have that same skimmer, it works great plenty of crud every week, I didnt get the MJ 1200 at first but quickly learned. Currently the skimmer and live rock are my only filtration and they work well although I am looking to add a sump soon

loyalty
08/05/2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by gflat65
Ahhh the life of a chef:)

yeah no joke. I can't wait to graduate and work for a salary instead of racking up hours on weekends and over summers

gflat65
08/06/2004, 07:33 AM
When that day comes, your life changes. I can't explain the elation. It's not like you hate cooking, but you hate having to cook. Gettin on that 8-5 (or whenever for salaried) M-F, Holidays OFF, and gettin to do things on the weekends; life just gets simpler:)