PDA

View Full Version : Sand Source

EdKruzel
10/14/2001, 03:42 AM
Dr Ron,
I just paid a small fortune for enough sand to place a 5'' bed in a 200 gallon. I have seen several post on here about products like Southbound from Home Depot. Do you know of any other products other than CaribSea types so that I may save some money when I setup my 120 with a DSB as a fish only? I have several places that sell sand in the proper diameter. Iwas just afraid to buy something that may be contaminated or too high in silicates or other algae blooming sources. What should I look for?

rshimek
10/14/2001, 09:35 AM
Ed,

There are lot of different sands, and most of them work fine. Basically what you need are sands with the appropriate grain size; given that most anything will do.

Some silica sands are high in feldspar minerals, and these can have some dissolution in sea water. Others, the white masonary sands are pure silica which will not dissolve in anything short of hydrofluoric acid. With these later sands, you can often and inexpensively, order quantities of different sizes and mix your own stuff.

Good luck!
:D

EdKruzel
10/14/2001, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the reply Doc.
One more question on source. I live in the desert southwest.
El Paso, TX. We have an abundance of sand here. 20min north is white sands missile range, known for vast white dunes. Also east of here is Red Sands & Heuco Tanks, a recreational area covered in a dark maroon sand.
What would be necessary to process this natural plethora before me.
If possible I may become the "CaribSea" of the desert. LOL:D

rshimek
10/14/2001, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by EdKruzel

Hi Ed,

What would be necessary to process this natural plethora before me.

Clean it of dust, bugs, organic debris, and possible contaminants such as airborne dispersed pesticides, etc. Then sieve it to assure the appropriate grain sizes.

It should generally be fine after that.

EdKruzel
10/14/2001, 12:44 PM
Thanks Doc,

I'd like to prove what a simpleton I am. :rolleyes:
What method would you use to clean the sand of any airborne contaminates or pesticides:confused:

Since typing the last blurb about "becoming the CaribSea of the desert" I have been thinking that this may actually have a business application.

I intend on learning every possible detail of sand processing.
Looking for a partner to supply DSB material and Det/Kits?:D

rshimek
10/14/2001, 07:29 PM
Hi Ed,

I suspect a wash through a strong hypochlorite solution would work, but it would be easier to find a site without contamination. Test a sample for what EPA calls "priority pollutants" and if the stuff comes up clean you are in. If not go to the next sand pile.

:cool:

EdKruzel
10/15/2001, 01:15 AM
Thanks Doc!

hEcToR1520
02/14/2002, 12:39 AM
Doc, the white sand from White Sands that Ed mentioned is made of gypsum, it is a nice white sand with a real pretty blue reflection when the light hits it. With the proper cleansing, would it be ok to take a couple of pounds and use it?

rshimek
02/14/2002, 11:17 AM
Hi,

I think gypsum sand may be too soluble to use in reef tanks.

I am moving the reply to Randy's forum and perhaps he can address the issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2002, 09:14 AM
Ah yes, the topic du jour:D

Gypsum is calcium sulfate. It will dissolve in seawater and is neither a good sand nor a good calcium supplement.

It's pretty in its place though:D