PDA

View Full Version : Undulated Trigger, destined to be loners?

Michaelf
10/13/2001, 08:37 PM
I have a 5 year old Undulated trigger and I really like him but he's quite the badA@@ and is now living a quiet life in solitary confinement (55gal) I had him in a 125gal. tank with a much older established Huma and a niger but that was not enough for the boy so needless to say he's back in the 55 I bought a large Paddlefin wrasse today and he lasted a couple minutes.....I had to move him in with the Huma and Niger in the 125 but all seems well so far...Any suggestions on a tankmate for the Undulated?
Thanks in advance

Leopardshark
10/13/2001, 11:55 PM
A undulated trigger must be left alone in that tank. They are way the most agressive fish i´ve ever seen in my life.
I don´t recall a fish that can live with this assasin.
Sorry pal
Marco

hcs3
10/14/2001, 10:18 AM
a loner for life it is. beautiful fish, but extremely intolerant of tankmates.

HTH

henry

Michaelf
10/14/2001, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the info!! He is beautiful but aggressive, much like my Irish wife.

BaltimoreFish
10/16/2001, 09:35 PM
Michael,

You mentioned that your undulated trigger is 5 years old....I have a couple of questions for you. I'm thinking of setting up a new trigger tank with my empty 75 gallon.

First of all how big is he/she? I heard they grow slowly. Also, how big was the fish when you first got it? Do you think a 75 gallon tank is sufficient for one of these guys for its entire life? If I go forward with this it will be the only fish in the tank with about 40-50 lbs of live rock. Is the fish pretty active, and what do you feed it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BF

Michaelf
10/17/2001, 12:00 AM
Hey, My undulated is close to 7 in. long and 1 1/2 in. thick, I've fed him mostly a frozen diet, formula one, marine cuisine, a little brine some feeders from time to time. Sometimes he'll eat some dry food like spectrum. Your 75 gal. should be more than sufficient mine's in a 55 all by himself he was in there with a niger and huma for about 2 years before he got too rowdy...I really enjoy him he's great. I love live rock but don't spend too much money on it cause he'll pick it apart and move all the rocks around wherever he wants to. There kinda spooky they hide if you come too close to the tank but after a few minutes he'll swim around alot. Good luck !!

Michaelf
10/17/2001, 12:01 AM
Oh sorry, he was a little over an inch when I first got him

Mr Nasty
10/18/2001, 09:43 AM
I have kept several kinds of triggers over the years. picassos,clowns,nigers,blueline ,queen ,undulated etc. along with some very large bad *** puffers. And from my experience the undulating trigger is the nastiest creature god has ever put on this earth!

Death Shrimp99
11/02/2001, 11:03 PM
Wouldent an undaulted trigger and a eel be compatable. Triggers and marays I thought where completly compatable. If i where the eel and that little trigger was biteing me i would just take a big chunk out of it's stomach and rip it apart.:D

Michaelf
11/03/2001, 12:59 PM
Anybody ever try that? I don't wanna sacrafice an eel in the name of science.

Death Shrimp99
11/03/2001, 08:35 PM
Eels are almost invencible, i dont know anything that can kill them. Triggers are pretty smart so the trigger would know enough to stay away. The best thing to put in that tank would be a snowflake eel, its not agressive and nothing will bother it. At full size you could put one in a 40 gallon so your tank would be fine for one.

Michaelf
11/03/2001, 10:13 PM
Yeah, suppose your right and worst case scenario he goes in the 125 with my Huma, Niger and Paddlefin wrasse before he's bait.
Thanks !

Jepper
12/27/2001, 10:59 PM
We've got a 5" Undulated in a FO tank. We're thinking about putting in a 2" purple long spined urchin (Echinometra La****er?) from our reef tank in there to help keep the algae down.

Think the trigger will leave it alone?

hcs3
12/27/2001, 11:48 PM
no.

HTH

henry

Mr Nasty
12/28/2001, 10:22 AM
hcs3 is right!!!!!!!Urchins are a triggers favorite food.

Jepper
12/29/2001, 10:36 PM
Bummer, guess I'll leave the urchin in the reef tank...

Any ideas about anything else that could be put in the tank with the undalated that would help control the algae?

JazzMan
12/29/2001, 10:40 PM
Jesus Christ!!! These fish sound like the antichrist!!!:D :eek2: :D :eek2:

I have never seen one. I will have to do some reading on them.

Mr Nasty
12/31/2001, 09:55 AM
They are! I had one once that had three small 6's stamped on top of its head!

Jonniefish
12/31/2001, 02:15 PM
I've been selling Marine Fish for 10 years and am proud to say i don't sell Undulated Triggers period.I feel like I do my customers a favor because none of them believe me when i tell them how aggro they are.I've had a number of folks go ahead and buy one someplace else only to hear from them later about how it became the only fish in the tank!!