PDA

View Full Version : snorkling for zoo's

tperk9784
08/01/2004, 01:50 PM
Any of you collectors know of any spots near Palm Beach that I might be able to snorkle and collect some zoanthids?

Tim

K9
08/01/2004, 04:00 PM
I don't know of any spots to snorkel and collect zoos, but I strongly suggest that you don't risk getting caught by the Florida Marine Patrol. If you're caught with anything that is illegal to harvest in Florida waters, the FMP can confiscate your boat and car, not to mention throw you in jail for illegal harvesting of wildlife. I wouldn't take any chances personally.

chrisaggie
08/01/2004, 04:17 PM
Zoos are just find to collect. I have collected on the rocks and walls at Blue Heron Bridge island. Try the rocks on the NW corner of the island.

tperk9784
08/01/2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will try there, Chris.

K9 my friend and I spoke to a marine patrol officer and he said that it was legal and that we could take 1 square inch of rock directly under the animal.

Tim

K9
08/01/2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by tperk9784
Thanks for the replies. I will try there, Chris.

K9 my friend and I spoke to a marine patrol officer and he said that it was legal and that we could take 1 square inch of rock directly under the animal.

Tim No problem, I'm glad you asked :D. I've just seen so many people get busted for taking illegal lobster, stone crab, and corals, that I just worry whenever someone mentions taking something from the water. Gool luck in your hunt for zoos!

chrisaggie
08/01/2004, 08:09 PM
The rules in florida can be hard to learn and understand. Actually the marine patrol officer is wrong. When you collect zoanthids you can not take any rock at all! You can however take some rock when you collect octocorals (gorgonians). When collecting these you may take a 1" piece of rock all the way around the base of the octocoral. If the octocoral has a 3" base you can take a 5" piece of rock. Good luck collecting. Go very slowly around the wall and rocks at that park and look well. Take a kitchen knife with you to scrape the zoos off the rock/wall.
~Chris

tperk9784
08/01/2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the clarification Chris.

Maybe we misunderstood the officer or he misunderstood us.

Tim

Vaigod
08/02/2004, 07:42 PM
Where exactly is Blue Heron Bridge Island?? I know where Blue Heron is, but what bridge am I looking for? I dont live too far from there, but have never heard of where you are talking about.

THanks!!!

chrisaggie
08/02/2004, 08:49 PM
Phil Foster park. Only island on Blue Heron Bridge Rd in the lagoon. Can't miss it. Big statue of a sailer at the entrance.

Vaigod
08/02/2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out this week...

Reefanatic67
08/04/2004, 05:32 PM
Anywhere else in SFLA where we can pick up zoos? I live closer to Key Biscayne/Grove area, so does anybody know of a site around here that I can collect zoos from? I've tried the rock wall around Matheson Hammocks park, but no luck.

Manny......

chrisaggie
08/04/2004, 06:14 PM
if you email me I can tell you a fairly good spot. I'll have to look on a map to rememberexactly where it was though.

Reefanatic67
08/04/2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by chrisaggie
if you email me I can tell you a fairly good spot. I'll have to look on a map to rememberexactly where it was though.

Done! :D

Thanks Chris.

scrummyotool
08/23/2004, 12:56 PM
i'd love to see pics of these florida zoo's

scrummyotool
08/23/2004, 12:56 PM
i'd love to see pics of these florida zoo's

chrisaggie
08/23/2004, 06:51 PM
If you click on the link below and look in the zoanthid section you can see some zoos that were collected in Florida. Below the link I have listed the pictures that I know were collected.

http://www.thelogicalreef.com/gallery.asp

Row 1 Column 3
Row 2 Column 1
Row 8 Column 3

Here is a link to some cool zoos I collected.

http://reefers.org/album/viewphoto.cfm?albumimageid=206

And last but not least is Ricks page...he's got tons on pictures of Florida stuff...all very nice btw!

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=134489&ck=

snookcatcher
09/12/2004, 05:46 PM
you wouldnt know anywhere near tampa/clearwater, i could fins things for my tabk would you (clean up crews, fish,zoos,live rock etc., i just really enjoy (being an avid fisherman) colecting things for my aquarium, any info would be greatly appreciated. i was also wondering if it is ok to put things you catch in your tank? and what you use to catch small fish for your tank?

quandary_23
10/01/2004, 03:45 PM
pay the $7 for a license and collect softies legally. Check out the law, prohibits you from taking hard corals, sea fans, algae and rock. Take care. All this information can be found on FL wildlfe society website.

chrisaggie
10/01/2004, 03:49 PM
Actually a licence is $14, not $7. And in SOME circumstances rock may be taken (when attached to an octocoral). Also, you are allowed to take algae, I don't remember the exact amount, but a few gallons come to mind.
~Chris

quandary_23
10/01/2004, 03:53 PM
Biological information on corals may be found on the website for the Fish and Wildlife Commission, Fish and Wildlife Research Institute at: http://floridamarine.org/features/category_main.asp?id=1340

What species of coral are prohibited for harvest?

All species of hard or stony coral (Order Scleractinia) and all fire coral (Genus Millepora) are prohibited for harvest in state waters of Florida unless it is pursuant to a research permit.

What are octocorals?

Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC) rule defines octocorals as any erect, non-encrusting species of the Subclass Octocorallia, except for the common sea fan Gorgonia ventalina and the Venus sea fan Gorgonia flabellum. The two sea fans that are not included in the definition of an octocoral are considered Indigenous Marine Prohibited (IMP) species and all harvest of these species is prohibited in state waters unless it is pursuant to a research permit. (See Florida Administrative Code Ch. 68B-42.009 on website http://fac.dos.state.fl.us/)

What species are included in the subclass Octocorallia?

The subclass Octocorallia includes gorgonians, telestaceans, and soft corals.

What species are considered Gorgonians?

The most common gorgonians include sea fingers, candelabrum, sea rods, sea plumes, sea fans (except for the two prohibited species), sea whips, sea sprays, and telestos.

What species are considered soft corals?

True soft corals are very rarely found in Florida. True soft corals belong to the Family Nephtheidae, which is an Indo-Pacific species not common to the tropical areas of the Atlantic.

Are encrusting species of coral considered an octocoral or a stony coral?

Most species of true encrusting corals are stony corals and are prohibited for harvest. There are very few species of encrusting corals that are octocorals. It is advised that you steer clear from harvesting any species of encrusting coral unless you are extremely familiar with your coral taxonomy.

Here is the rest of the info, sorry about the mixup in prices. I was looking for an out of state resident for a one week permit. But now I just moved here, thanks for the update.