PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Ammonia Test Question(s):

SoupySteve
08/01/2004, 01:10 PM
Once a month, I test my system's water (Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, pH, Alk, and Ca).
I am having trouble interpreting my Ammonia test results.
For total dissolved ammonia, I got a reading of <.25 ppm (not quite as green as the chart shows for .25).
As far as INTERPRETATION goes, I've read through the instructions that came with the ammonia test kit and I don't quite care for the table that they have. The table is the "Percentage of Toxic Ammonia, at different temperatures and pH values". I'm trying to get as precise of measurements as possible but the table is broken down into 3degree Celcius increments, and the pH values are in .2 increments. The point is, my temperature is 81degrees F and my pH is 8.3 and these values aren't in the table. So, I guess I have the following questions for anyone who'll answer:
1 - Why is that damned chart so confusing?
2 - What level of ammonia is toxic at my pH and temp?
3 - Am I worrying about too much about nothing?

All my inhabitants are doing well (except for an open brain coral who is doing BETTER after relocating it and spot feeding twice a day). This is on a 55 gallon tank with a 30 gallon fuge/sump.

lil'salty
08/01/2004, 02:46 PM
how long have you had the test kit i know after awhile they go bad what are your trates an trites at

Red Sea Purple Tang
08/01/2004, 03:05 PM
Sorry I couldn't help ya on the phone Steve....I'm a loser! :sad1:

However a great indication is how things are doing.