PDA

View Full Version : New Mantis

Alex
10/13/2001, 11:40 AM
Well I got a call at work the other day. The man said does your store take mantis shrimp. I said I personally collect them and I would be happy to take them off your hands. He brought 2 mantis. He got all his LR from Tampa FL. They are the same species. Smashers Brick red with some light blue on the raptoral apendages. No Idae what species they are. I will take a pic as soon as I get my Digital camera. I did not have any spare tanks so I decided to put them in my 32 gallon Refugium. The problem was my big Clown mantis is in the tank. I figured that they should be ok since there is lots of rocks and Bryopsis to hide in. Well so far I have seen one of them but I know they are both alive because I can hear the clicking from both of them. I must say the one has been very active he is walking over the byopsis then diving into it. They are such cool creatures.

Alex

Gonodactylus
10/15/2001, 12:38 AM
The animals you describe are Neogonodactylus wennerae. They reach a maximum size of about 6 cm, live for about 4 years, and are common in live rock from 20 - 100 feet.

Alex
10/15/2001, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I will get a picture as soon as I can.

Alex

tszetela
10/15/2001, 10:51 PM
Red??? Didn't we just have a conversation about red Mantis?
So when can I come by and see them?

Alex
10/16/2001, 12:20 PM
He is not bright red but a dark red. You can see them once I am better. I have not been at work for over a week because I am sick. Let me know when you want me to order a clown mantis for you Tim.

Alex

tszetela
10/16/2001, 12:58 PM
I guess if your sick that explains why Jim was actually at work on Sunday!

biomekanic
10/16/2001, 03:25 PM
What dealer did the LR come from? I'm thinking of buying mine from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and they said they'd be happy to swap out a pistol shrimp for a mantis, just curious so I know who has a better chance of getting me a mantis.

Arlie
10/21/2001, 04:47 AM
This site has many great pics of lots of Mantis shrimp.

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pics.htm