PDA

View Full Version : Message for Capt Dave and Jimhobbs

Greg_Montalbano
10/13/2001, 10:03 AM
This is for both of you, I can see that we have not opened our minds up for discussion. As you can see under my name where it says occupation, that is provided by this forum. I posted filtration manufacturer, and I use my real name so there is no question who is posting,okay.
If you 2 looked past who I am, and noticed I provided the individual helpful information, and I provided a link without advertising.
You 2 may want to read an article in the November 2001 Aquarium fish Magazine titled, Stony Coral Biology by Terry Siegel. On page 45 you will see Symbiosis and Nutrition, read about how Nitrate is needed to feed the symbiotic algae in the corals and clams tissues. Oh and here is a pic you have seen before, My reef tank running 2 1/2 years no water changes, using sponge mechanical filtration, bio media, protein skimming, a Deep sand bed. Oh that filter again, go ahead make excuses, I'll come back and post when everybody grows up.http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/bp/334/04636770.jpg

Vilas
10/13/2001, 10:35 AM
What part of "no advertising" do you not understand? This board's a place where hobbiests can share info, and assume that they're getting info based on something other than profit.
If you were a hobbiest reporting your results, that's fine, but you're profiting over your "advice."
If we wanted a sales pitch, we can go to the LFS. However, this board's about sharing experience by people who have no personal profit in mind.

I'm glad you've had such a great experience, however, recommending no water changes is not something I, for one, would do.

Capt.Dave
10/13/2001, 02:19 PM
Wow, being mentioned in the subject with Jim Hobbs, I'm honored.:)

First, your comments should have been posted in the thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=41093) which you are complaining about. There are already enough daily new threads without duplicates. Also, people will know what you are complaining about.

Second, my only issue is that as the inventor of the filter that you are recommending, your opinion is biased. There is nothing wrong with that, except the person who was asking the question is entitled to know your financial interest. It was not clear to me when I read your post, that you were the inventor, and I bet it wasn't clear to the person asking the question. "Filtration manufacturer" is kind of generic.

There are many ways to maintain a successful tank and I welcome debate and encourage people to try things that are different from the way the majority does them. This is one way new things are learned and the hobby advances. Under certain circumstances, you methods my work better than mine, I don't know, and I don't mind debating them. I just want any financial motivations clearly disclosed.

Dave

johnny
10/13/2001, 03:05 PM
Greg,

I agree and disagree with you. I didn't think your post was completely an add, but then again it could definitely be considered one.

Everyone in this hobby has a different opinion on what should be done and what shouldn't, what we consider correct is the manner in which a majority of the people on these boards whom have kept corals for a while, done research, communicated with others and had high success rates. There's a couple of things I don't like about your statements, that you suggest no water changes and that you support media based filters. I agree with everyone else in the nitrate being too high from these for delicate corals like sps. In your tank, I do not see any corals such as sps that would most likely not do well in a tank. To be honest your tank has mostly hardy corals which could live in pretty lousy conditions... so that's really not a good judgment of methodology.

All in all I think you'll have a lot to add to this board, but please keep in mind just because one radically different way of thinking works for you, it might not work with someone who just got their first tank and popped 10 heads of acros in it.... (at least not on the average day in the average situation in the average tank)

Nick

Troutman
10/16/2001, 02:49 PM
Apparently, this is the thread in question:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41093

The way the thread reads to me is that Greg is simply trying to show someone a good animation on how he is filtering his water. The thread started with a question about the order in which people are using mechanical filtration and skimmers. I guess I didn't see the big "sales pitch" in linking an animation. I see people link to petwarehouse, ahsupply, etc. all the time when making a point about different situations or products.

I wish people would quit looking for the negative all the time:)

Troutman

Vilas
10/17/2001, 05:14 AM
Difference is that he stands to personally profit form his "advice" :)

Troutman
10/17/2001, 02:44 PM
You are right. His page offers filters for sale. I don't think he was intentionally trying to sell a filter to someone that already has one however.

Nosmada
10/17/2001, 03:10 PM
i would just like to add to this conversation that gregg here has decided to bash this wonderful BB and is now arguing with me via emails:D :D i agree completely that he made his post in the intentions of a nice free plug for himself.

chris