PDA

View Full Version : lime water questions

gflat65
07/31/2004, 09:51 PM
I have decided to try using lime water for my recent large increase in calcium demand:), as well as a few other reasons. I bought 'Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime.' Will any ole brand work, or are some better? I think I saw something somewhere on the ETRC forum that specifically mentioned Ball brand, and wanted to know if there is a difference. Also, to what concentration do I mix it? Ideas on flow rate? reewik runs about a drop a second on his 44 (?) hex, so I was thinking about three drops per second to start with and adjust from there.

Sir Knight
07/31/2004, 10:45 PM
I have used Ball and Mrs. Wages both and IMO there is no difference other then cost.

One table spoon per gallon works when dripping and your starting point should be fine. To give an exact answer is not possible because of stocking and type of coral demand. I use one teaspoon in my 29 gallon tank twice a day and I mix it with one cup of water, I don't drip. I have been doing it this way for years with every type of corals I had, when I didn't use my calcium reactor and kalk reactor.

With my larger tanks (240) I would use one table spoon per cup of water once a day, so as you can see it depends on your setup and stocking levels as stated before.

What you will need to monitor is pH and calcium levels. Don't let the pH go up more them .2 when dosing. I have found it is better to dose when the lights go out as this is the time when pH normally will fall.

Hope this helps

gflat65
08/01/2004, 05:34 AM
Thanks Joe. I was going to ask about parameter fluctuations and you answered it for me. When you add, you just mix it with RO/DI and pour in the sump? I've heard it is 'good' to add near the skimmer intake. Is this beneficial?

aquaman67
08/01/2004, 06:39 AM
The most you can mix is 2 teaspoons per gallon. That's the point of saturation.

You can get more if you add vinegar, but that's down the road if your calcium level doesn't stay up where you want it.

What do in my 45, and I'm still working this out, is adding 1/4 teaspoon to 1 liter, since my tank evaporates about that much per day. (That works out to about 2 teaspoons per gallon.)

Right now my pH goes from 8.0 in the morning to 8.2 at night. My alk is 8.5 and my calcium is 390. I know those numbers are on the low end of good.

I used a gatorade bottle to make my Kalk dripper. You can get 20, 32, 64 and 128 oz bottles so you can find on size to match your evaporation.

It's better to do smaller doses everyday than skip a day and add one larger dose.

I start mine when the lights go out, as Joe mentioned. I drip about 1 drop per second.

There is a slurry method, where you add more all at once.

I'll do a search and find the directions and post it in another reply.

Oh, as for Ball's or Mrs. Wages, food grade calcium hydroxide is food grade calcium hydroxide.....I have and use both...

aquaman67
08/01/2004, 06:43 AM
Here's a long post with slurry directions...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=372567

doodoobrown
08/01/2004, 09:53 AM
where did you find the pickling lime at? i have been looking for the last week and all i can find is pickling salt. i have looked at wal-mart and krogers. thanks

gflat65
08/01/2004, 10:11 AM
aquaman
Thanks for the thread and info. Good reading. I think I've got a plan now:)

doodoobrown
I got mine at H.G. Hills in the G'lettsville area. It was about $1.50 for a 16 oz. bag. Cheap stuff.

Sir Knight
08/01/2004, 10:26 AM
To add pickling lime directly to your tank is a easy process.
Note: I said, to your tank not sump.

The first thing you need is a good pH monitor. Pin point monitors work well.

Your want to add enough to raise your pH .2. Example if your pH is 8.0 you want to raise it to 8.2.

To start the process start with a cup of RO/DI water and mix in about a 1/4 of a teaspoon of kalk to it. Note be careful not to inhale the vapors as it will cause you problems and only add the solution not the power.

Add the mixed solution to your tank and keep an eye on your pH. If after the add your pH went up .02 you have reached the limit for adding at this time. If it hasn't you can add more. Keep in mind that your pH will go down after a few minutes and you need to add the solution to a high flow area of the tank(by a power head or return line). Once you get to the right amounts of kalk to add all you need to do is add the same amount every day. The process takes about 1 to 2 minutes a day. The other advantage of this approach is you will be able to use this process both in the morning before lights come on and at night. For an SPS or LPS tank I like to keep the CA levels at 420 to 450. This type of addition does not effect the ALK of your tank but that is a different story.
Hope this helps and makes your life easier for add kalk.

jokeloma
08/01/2004, 10:37 AM
I use the exact same setup as aquaman with a IV drip I got at the local vet for $3.00. Check places like feed stores

boofer
08/02/2004, 11:12 PM
This type of addition does not effect the ALK of your tank but that is a different story.
heya Joe, does that mean an addition of buffer/builder is still needed with the slurry method to keep alk in check?
Is there a reason why addition to the sump is not preferred? seems to me the sump would be less stressful on inhabitants.
when im figuring out my dose do I watch the initial spike or wait a few minutes?
after lights out at night my ph is 8.3, would a spike to 8.5 be ok?
and would I still have to supplement calcium on occasions?
sorry for all the questions, just thinking about dropping 2 part and dosing this way. thx in advance

Sir Knight
08/03/2004, 08:17 PM
does that mean an addition of buffer/builder is still needed with the slurry method to keep alk in check

Yes. I use either Baking soda or sodawash to raise: Alk

Is there a reason why addition to the sump is not preferred? seems to me the sump would be less stressful on inhabitants.
The reasons for adding it to the tank and not the sump is, you are adding a high concentration of Calcium. If you add it to the sump it can precipitate and also could clog your pumps. If you add the Kalk to a high flow area of your tank it should not stress your corals.

after lights out at night my ph is 8.3, would a spike to 8.5 be ok
That should be just fine. .2 will not be a problem

would I still have to supplement calcium on occasions

That depends on the number of corals (SPS, LPS) you have in your tank. Also keep in mind you can dose more than once a day if needed

when im figuring out my dose do I watch the initial spike or wait a few minutes?

The spike within 15 to 20 seconds after adding, should work

One last comment: If you do weekly or bi-weekly water changes you should not need to add another other chemicals to your tank.

Sorry for the delay in responding I have been in school this week until 6:30 PM

boofer
08/04/2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks Joe :) think im gonna give it a shot.

stevensmd
08/05/2004, 07:59 AM
thanks joe, you're the master!

stevensmd
09/01/2004, 01:17 PM
joe..I have been adding the kalkwasser daily in the mornings...half teaspoon was raising the ph by .2....now the same amount is only raising by .1..I guess I need to add more powder? I wonder why it has changed?
would it matter if I use tank water to mix with? or does it have to be ro water..I can't think why it would make a difference...but hey, what do I know!

danieljames
09/01/2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Joe Wall
. I use one teaspoon in my 29 gallon tank twice a day and I mix it with one cup of water, I don't drip. .

WOW........ I mix a level teaspoon with about 3/4 of a gallon of water and drip in my 26 over a period of about an hour and a half. You have more experience than me for sure...but i would never add that much kalk at one time. I've never read of anyone adding that much kalk in one shot to a small system. You don't have ph fluctuations? I have to back down my amount sometimes, because my ph is high after dripping.

Do you allow the mixture to "settle out"? Or just mix the kalk in a small amount of water and dump right in?

stevensmd
09/01/2004, 01:58 PM
I just dump the liquid mixture in a high flow area in the tank...
my ph is a definite problem though...it is 7.4 in the mornings when I add (mixture kicks it up to 7.5-7.6)....during the day the ph runs at 7.8..still trying to troubleshoot that area, I think it might be low alkalinity....
dave

danieljames
09/01/2004, 02:01 PM
yeah. sounds like it dave. Some decent water changes should help with that. Over a period of a week maybe. Get some buffers in a natural concentration in there. Keep in mind that when you add kalk....you will get a spike at first, but in a healthy system it should rise even more with time. That has been my experience. Dripping at night is usually a good way to go..your ph obviously being lower in the evening, and it will help with a more stable ph all around.

A general rule is that a fully saturated kalk solution (2 tsp/gallon) will raise the calcium in 40 gallons of water by 24mg/l. It is by no means a way to raise your calcium. Just to maintain it. There is really not all that much calcium in there comparitively to other methods. But it is a balanced additive..which is good (as compared to Ca Chloride)