PDA

View Full Version : Questions for those who use the Prism skimmer

damaris
10/12/2001, 10:46 PM
Hello all, I have an established 10 gallon nano. It currently has a 270 gph HOB filter as the only circulation. The tank has been set up for over a year. I do weekly 2 gallon water changes.

My new job will require me to travel and I may not be able to do water changes as frequently. So I am thinking about adding a skimmer. I hate airstone-driven skimmers so that is out of the question. I am thinking about the Prism.

My questions:
1) How well does it skim?
2) How noisy is it?
3) Is it truly "set and forget", or does it require alot of fiddling?
4) Do microbubbles get in the tank? I had a modified Skilter (airstone) for a while and hated the microbubbles.
5) How big is the Prism, specifically how much room is required between the tank and the wall? Also, will I have room to hang the Prism and a HOB filter (not a giant one) on the back of the tank?

Thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

mr9iron
10/15/2001, 10:27 PM
Damaris, I really don't think that you can go wrong with the prizm skimmer. I've had one on my 7 gal nano for quite a while and love it. The prizm takes a couple of days to break in and after that it kicks butt. Mine skims some horrible smelling dry from my tank on a daily basis. As for it being a set and forget skimmer this is definitely possible. On occasion with the build up of algae in the intake I open it up a little more and it does a great job, although it does let some micro bubbles into the tank you can adjust that to. Since I started using the prizm on my nano I only do water changes about once a month now. Oh yeah, its not a real big skimmer sorry I don't have the exact measurements. HTH

Rueg
10/16/2001, 08:13 AM
I am not happy with my Prizm skimmer. It either skims nothing or clear liquid. The clear liquid is smelly though, but it should be dark. Go with the Precision Marine hang on. I wish I would have.

mr9iron
10/16/2001, 11:16 AM
Reug, are you interested in selling that prizm skimmer of yours?