PDA

View Full Version : help fragging leather

kev-dog1
07/30/2004, 11:35 AM
I've got a leather coral that has grown attached to a neighboring piece of rock and I'd like to take advantage of this and split/frag it so I have two seperate specimens.
It was sold to me as some kind of finger leather, but looks more like a spaghetti leather.
I've never done this before, so can somebody walk me through this process?
I'd like to do it right where its sitting, so I won't risk tearing it away from either rock.
What tools do I need? Is this done before lights on when its kinda droopy, or after lights on and it has perked up? Any special care after splitting/cutting/fragging?
Thanks
kev

coralreefing
07/30/2004, 11:47 AM
Cut it with something very sharp so you get a nice clean cut. Make sure both pieces have part of the stalk & part of the head after the cut. If you're going to cut it in the tank then run some carbon in case it releases any toxins.
HTH

kev-dog1
07/30/2004, 12:03 PM
Really sharp like a razor blade? or scissors?
How long do I run carbon? Unfortunately I not set up for running carbon. I'd have to get a hang on filter and totally remove the canopy, which means no lights.
(I'm making a mod to the canopies as I go thru my tear down both tanks and re-setup, so that I can add a hang on when needed...but that doesn't help me right now)
Is this 'releasing toxins' a probable thing? If I can't run carbon I'd rather not risk it. How can I avoid this risk?

coralreefing
07/30/2004, 12:40 PM
You could use a blade or scissors depending on the size of the coral, use the one you think will cut best. Some people get away with cutting them in the tank with no ill effects. I think it depends on the type of leather you cut & what other corals you have in the tank that might be effected. Running carbon is just a good precaution. Could you borrow a cannister filter from someone? Otherwise you could remove it from the tank to cut it then rinse it well in tank water before you put it back. It really depends on what else is in your tank. If you don't have anything that would be stung if the leather touched it you should be ok.

foggy54
07/30/2004, 04:34 PM
if you weren't going to leave the carbon in too long, perhaps you could put some in a small fish net and set it partialy in the water for a few days, keeping the open part of the net above water. just a thought.

EvilMel
07/30/2004, 05:25 PM
The big stores like Petsmart sell bags that you could put carbon in. I have one that I put in a hang on the back filter, but you could just do something like foggy says and stick it in your tank in a high flow area.

For fragging leathers: chop chop chop! That's my philosophy for all my corals (except the bubble and tongue).

gflat65
07/30/2004, 06:18 PM
Yes indeed. Choppin broccoli. I always used to cut my softies in the tank. I always run carbon, too, though. I never had any problems with cutting them in the water, but I didn't have any sps at the time. It is my opinion that most softies grow faster when cut frequently. Just my experience. Take a razor blade and slice that thing up.

kev-dog1
07/31/2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks everyone,
I'm gonna wait til I go to the fishstore and get some carbon and then do it foggy's way.
Kev

EvilMel
07/31/2004, 05:47 PM
You know, I never added any carbon to mine when I cut things up, but I freaking chopped up zooanthids and palythoa polyps with cuts on my hands and never thought anything about it (didn't know any better).

Of course my hand has gone numb a few times and my whole arm went numb for a few hours one time. I didn't, at the time, know what could be causing that. Of course I knew it was something probably coming from the coral I was cutting up, but I didn't know it was toxins specifically and that I could actually die from it.

Brent gets a bit angry now when things like that happen to me as a result of my fishtank, now that I "know better".

But my leather coral has never given me any problems and I have cut it up bunches of times. Do leather corals excete toxins of the calliber that things like zooanthids and palythoa polyps do?

kev-dog1
08/03/2004, 09:06 AM
I did the snip snip yesterday morning while doing a regular water change and maintenance. I decided to remove it from the tank for this operation. After letting it sit in a bucket for several minutes I sloshed it around a bit and returned it to the tank and placed it back in its original position. It's been one of my best corals so it must like this location's light and flow.
Last night when I got home it was fully open and outstretched. So far so good. :)

TN_sledge
08/03/2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by EvilMel
but I freaking chopped up zooanthids and palythoa polyps

I like to lick the bottoms of these after I do this. I get to see all kinds of pretty colors..... Even with my eyes closed :celeb3: ..

Just kidding! Everyone should wear rubber gloves when working in the tank. Too bad I don't always take my own advice!!

EvilMel
08/03/2004, 10:43 AM
Hah hah. I wonder what would happen to you if you licked a cut zooanthid. Do you think you'd die? I am not too sure myself.

coralreefing
08/03/2004, 11:40 AM
"If you see a long tunnel, stay away from the light"

hooker18
08/08/2004, 08:33 PM
evilmel <--- not too funny man. yes you would probably die. they are toxic, and there is no cure.

hooker18
08/08/2004, 08:34 PM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158730

EvilMel
08/09/2004, 07:47 AM
Yeah I saw that a long time ago. Of course this was after me cutting zooanthids without gloves AND if you notice, I did not suggest licking them. I just wondered what would REALLY happen if you did.

hooker18
08/09/2004, 12:10 PM
sorry i just been a little weary about the zoos lately b/c i also cut without gloves for a while.

gflat65
08/09/2004, 04:18 PM
They sure do make a tasty stew:)