PDA

View Full Version : First Corals...

cmashman
07/30/2004, 07:28 AM
My 20H has been up for going on 6 weeks now and Sean at EB (you rock) hooked me up with a red mushroom rock and Kenya Tree for a great price. Previous tank pics are :
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34243
I have started posting to my gallery here at RC, and will update only that one.

Yes, I am in the middle of a cyano outbreak. First dose of Chemi-clean didn't do much, so I waited the 48 hrs and dosed again last night, so we'll see. The directions say "Preform 20% water change after full treatment", so I assume that means after the 2nd dose.

Robert/Sean/Jason, I will need to start my clean up crew as I have seen other algae starting to spread. I've read all sorts of opinions on what eats what and what doesn't, so I am not sure exactly what I need to get started. Any advice on what you have available would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chad

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=25078&thumb=1

ps- how do you post the actual pic and not just the link?

Oldschooler
07/30/2004, 07:39 AM
Most people use Lettuce Nudibranchs, Peppermint Shrimp, Blue-Leg Hermit Crabs, Scarlet-Leg Hermit Crabs (the tiny ones), Astrea Snails, Burrowing Snails, "Turbo" Snails and Brittle Stars. I would STRONGLY suggest you stay away from any other Hermit Crabs (most grow large and virtually all kill and eat fish and corals) as well as any sea star you don't know. MANY innocent-looking stars are not reef-safe.

99.9% of people start with Blue-Leg hermits and Astrea snails, FWIW.

~Roberto

kevlouie
07/30/2004, 08:31 AM
ROberto, that reminds me. Can you guys get other snails? What about Nassarius snails? Trochus snails? Olive snails? Fighting conchs? I second the blue leg hermits, mine have been good boys.

Countzer0
07/30/2004, 09:05 AM
Blue legs and astrea snails .... I have always done in the past when setting up a tank do 1-2 blue leggs per gallon and 1 Astrea per gallon and 1 turbo per 10g .... but in smaller tanks that i have done i found the turbos to be a tad more hassle that they are worth ... knocking down frags rocks ect .... nice pics by the way!

Ohh once you get your snails ... you are going to need to MOD your auto top off .... cover those switches with a film canister or a pill bottle and put some holes in them or something ... i have one i have done that is out of the tank if you stop by I will show you ... but snails will climb on the bobbers and then you get to enjoy your reef in the middle of the floor.... :)

Jason

cmashman
07/30/2004, 09:20 AM
Hmmm.....I sense another trip to the Bay....what a nice way to spend high noon on a Friday...

clr_27
07/30/2004, 01:41 PM
what filtration are you using on your tank? i have a twenty gallon high that has been running for two weeks as well. i love that hood, i am going to build one, does it interfer with a HOB filter? thanks

chris

cmashman
07/30/2004, 02:19 PM
clr_27, The back of the hood is 90% open, the thread on nano-reef.com should show that, I think. I have about 3 inches on either side on the back that stick in to help hold the hood on. There is plenty of room for the top off return hose, ac500, heater, and dual floatswitch setup.
My dad is a carpenter, so it's in my blood...

clr_27
07/30/2004, 02:31 PM
my neighbor is a cabinet maker, i think i will recruit his help. i will use your deminsions. thanks alot man. my regards to EB as well for the mush rock and xenia.