PDA

View Full Version : New to the area and the hobby...

Olddirty
07/29/2004, 11:10 PM
Just wanting to say hey to the neighborhood reefers. My job moved me out here approx. 2 months ago and started my first SW reef tank then. Still inthe set up phases though :( Just wanted to say hey.
Im also looking for some lights on my 29gal Tall tank, if anyone has any for sale, or just has some recommendations. May keep me from having to pay shipping costs if I could buy from someone "locally". I live in Fishers by the way. Well hope to hear from yall soon.

The Jackel
07/30/2004, 08:11 AM
Welcome to the neighborhood! Always a pleasure to meet a fellow reefer. If you haven't already you might wander over to www.indmas.org this is our local reef club and will help you meet other local reefers.

As for lighting I am toonew to have an opinion (IMHO) so I don't have any recommendations...but welcome just the same.

Hooked4life
07/30/2004, 08:36 AM
Hi Flick and welcome! We have an excellent online retailer here in town -- Premium Aquatics. Check out their lighting selection at premiumaquatics.com. They have walk-in hours on Friday from 2-5.

gobygoby
07/30/2004, 10:00 AM
WELCOME everybody.....I am always willing to help anyone get started. if you want to call me, email or come over and see my set up or whatever. just let me know!

gobyfish04@aol.com
Kyle

Fourseahorsemen
07/30/2004, 12:35 PM
Welcome! We are having a meeting at my place in Fishers on the 7th, come on over and meet some club folks. I need to post some details this weekend I guess. PA is a great resource, and they are helpfull too.

DensityMan
07/30/2004, 12:46 PM
Welcome aboard, Olddirty!

If you've got the means to do so, drop the money on Metal Halides for your main lighting with Very High Output flourescents (VHO) or Power Compact flourescents (PC) as supplement and dawn/dusk lighting. Everyone says this and no one listens (including me). I started with only PC's and five years later I finally switched over to 14,000 K (Hamilton) Metal Halides; the tank's never looked so good. ;)

Premium is a great place to get started with lights, etc...

Be sure to check out the INDMAS site too... :D

4C: have you checked into the INDMAS site yet... there's a thread there asking about the August 7th meeting/swap at your place... ;)

playful1
07/30/2004, 01:56 PM
Welcome Aboard...

phishy_smell
07/30/2004, 05:52 PM
welcome to the group, can never have enough reef lovers.

Olddirty
07/30/2004, 06:50 PM
Well i must say, i have never been greeted so warmly. thank you all. I get back in town on the 6th so i may or may not be free to go out do anything that early after returning but i will try. and i do appreciate the invite. im going to have to check with my girlfriend she may in fact have something planned for us so dont wanna commit to anything at the moment. Well guys and gals i hope to see/chat with yall soon.

P.S.
thx for the info on lighting and premium aquatics. heading there as soon as i get back.

BigReef
07/30/2004, 06:58 PM
Welcome Olddirty!

Wow, You are our millionth member!... Well it seems like it... Anyway, this is sweet, we get a new member almost every day.

I think your going to like the gang. They're a pretty experienced
and fun loving group. (some of them have been know to drink phyto straight from the bottle, no glass at all!) I'll PM you with a list of "those guys". :rollface:

Regarding the lighting on your 29 gallon tank. It really depends on what you want to keep. If it's just softies, lps, zoos and the such, then I'd probably go with vho or tek5s. If you want to get
into clams and sps, then I'd go with halides. The benefit of going with halides now, is that when you get a bigger tank (as we all do) then you've allready got enough light.

Anyway, welcome aboard.

Tim

Fourseahorsemen
07/30/2004, 09:42 PM
I posted on the website the agenda and reef food sign up list...