PDA

View Full Version : what does everybody feed their corals?

dallast
07/29/2004, 01:35 PM
just wanted to get an idea of what people feed their corals. do you target feed? do you just feed your fish and let them get a passing scrap?

do you use off-the-shelf food, and if so, what do you use?

do you use live phyto cultures?

do you have your own special recipe?

dallas

orionsmamma
07/29/2004, 02:32 PM
Mine go crazy for cyclop-eeze :)

TippyToeX
07/29/2004, 02:59 PM
The coral I target feed are my LPS (frogspawn, fungia, favia, blastos, Acan., etc). They get minced up meaty marine foods. I like cocktail shrimp, mysis, scallop, krill, cyclop-eeze, etc. :D They get that at least three times a week. Bites are no larger than the size of a pea, helps with digestion. My Ric's and yumas get the same meals along with the RBTA's

The SPS gets home grow green water (phyto), rotifers (handy because of the clown fry) and the smallest sized golden pearls. I have no idea if they can actually ingest the peals, but the tank always looks good afterwards. :D Those are feed sparingly (to prevent algae blooms) about twice a week.

I'm sure they all get what I feed the fish and inverts as well.

dallast
07/29/2004, 04:46 PM
where do you get your cyclopeeze? and the golden pearls?

is the phyto a pain to culture?

LVfishguy
07/29/2004, 07:23 PM
feed my corals in the store phytoplantion, cyclopeeze, and brine/mysis to the big LPS guys.

TippyToeX
07/29/2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by dallast
where do you get your cyclopeeze? and the golden pearls?

is the phyto a pain to culture?

I've always ordered my cyclo-eeze online at Premuim Aquatics. I think Chris at GVA will be keeping it and Jackie at Tropical Expressions has it. :)

I get my golden pearls at Brine Shrimp Direct (http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/brineshrimpproduct5.htm)

I don't find phyto hard to culture at all. Once you have a good setup going it's easy as pie IMHO

opihi
07/29/2004, 09:14 PM
i don't feed my corals anything. i use a baster to kick up the "marine snow" a couple times a week, but that's it.

dallast
07/30/2004, 11:25 AM
thanks for the info, everyone!

i definitely want to try the cyclopeeze and the golden pearls. i too utilize the turkey baster method almost everyday! i guess it is working.

amy, maybe you can be our local phyto distributor to the group? i have been getting mine online off and on for a year now. is it a single strain or multiple strains?

dallast
07/30/2004, 11:41 AM
do you guys use the frozen or the freezedried cyclopeeze?

dallas

opihi
07/30/2004, 12:09 PM
i use frozen cyclops to feed my fish. they go nuts for it.

TippyToeX
07/30/2004, 03:20 PM
I use frozen as well. :)

orionsmamma
07/30/2004, 04:32 PM
Is there an advantage to frozen vs. freezw dried?

opihi
07/30/2004, 04:35 PM
i just like frozen because it's "fresher". i've read that freeze-dried foods aren't as nutritious as frozen. unfortunately, i don't have the literature to back that up though.

LVfishguy
07/30/2004, 08:22 PM
The problem with the feeze dried is that it floats...makes it hard to feed the corals.

orionsmamma
07/30/2004, 09:49 PM
The stuff that I got doesn't float; although the freeze dried phytoplankton does. I thought that when I was looking at ordering this stuff, the description said something about it keeping its nutrition(although I know that doesnt mean that is does).....I'll have to go look at the web site again.

dallast
08/03/2004, 12:36 AM
hey chris,

do you guys sell cyclopeze? or phytoplankton (fresh, not kent version)?

thanks!

Nanighan
08/03/2004, 02:41 AM
Wouldn't occasional algae scraping count as phyto. I read that somewhere probably on wetwebmedia.com?

LVfishguy
08/03/2004, 08:05 AM
I had an order in for cyclopeeze about two weeks ago so it should be in any day I suppose. They package everything uppon the order so I guess that it takes some time to get in.
I don't do live phyto. I do sell liquid life's version which is pretty good stuff butI do have to say that it isn't the most cost effective.

dallast
08/03/2004, 12:26 PM
thanks chris.

if you happen to remember, please let me know when it comes in and i'll shoot over there for a purchase :D

LVfishguy
08/04/2004, 09:24 AM
Came in yesterday. How Funny is that.

TippyToeX
08/04/2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by LVfishguy
Came in yesterday. How Funny is that.

Sweet!! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/tweetz/wiggle2.gif