PDA

View Full Version : Ghost shrimp

Basketcase
07/26/2004, 05:16 PM
Does anyone know of a LFS that sells ghost shrimp for the marine enviroment. I can find them for my freshwater all day.

TIA

Mafiaman
07/26/2004, 05:20 PM
under the wave, fish store nmore, cap bay,

Basketcase
07/26/2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks.

Ehydo
08/05/2004, 10:51 PM
Under the wave sells fresh only as I believe. That is where i get them for my FW Planted tank

Harleyguy
08/08/2004, 02:37 AM
this is true Under the Wave only sells fresh.

GeoJoe
08/08/2004, 08:19 PM
Petland?

akula
08/09/2004, 09:50 AM
Fish Store and More but they are not at full strength salt water.

Ehydo
08/09/2004, 09:59 AM
The ones living with the guppies at Fish Store and More??? I suppose that you could say that all of my freswater tanks are saltwater because I add 1/2 tablespoon of salt every 5 gallons.

Mafiaman
08/09/2004, 10:01 AM
When I drop'm in my tank they don't live long enough to notice they are in saltwater! :))

akula
08/09/2004, 10:25 AM
I dont know about if they are the ones in the guppy tanks at Fs&M but I had asked about putting them in a SW refuge and I was told they were at 4:1 strength water. I have asked about these in general and the impression I got was that they are all freshwater but could be shifted to a brackish water level of SW but not to full strength SW. I was told that at full strength SW their lives were going to be shorter. I was interested in them as a possible food source for a scooter blenny assuming that they breed easy in a refuge and the off spring would be for the blenny. FS&M did mention that they have guppies living throughout their SW system and breeding in the SW sumps.

Ehydo
08/09/2004, 10:35 AM
There are two different species Salt water and fresh water. For the saltwater you are going to pay alot more. As for breeding them good luck. You may have two or three survive the breeding process. They are easy to breed if you have 100 gallons or more with alot of hiding places and no filter. The are about the size of mosquito larva when they hatch. Remember "Buyer Beware" if the fish store is selling you brackish Ghost shrimp were they raised that way? If you want any good amount such as for food you need to get a kiddie pool and fill it up with leaves. drop a dozen or so shrimp in there and wait a few months.

akula
08/09/2004, 11:02 AM
ok. that answers the question that was coming up in my mind, that being if there really was a SW ghost shrimp when all I found was these FW/brackish ghost shrimp.

donald altman
08/26/2004, 07:55 PM
yes.... I catch them all day long on the coast... they hand out in the salt creeks and marshes in the grass..... they are found in brackish too where the fresh water rivers and stuff drain to the ocean.....

They are not normaly found in full fresh water I've been told there life cycle in fresh is MUCH MUCH shorter then if they were to be in brack of salt.... but if your looking for feeders who cares right???