PDA

View Full Version : Coral Order?

SHOmuchFUN
07/26/2004, 09:07 AM
Anybody up for doing a large coral order??? Maybe a club organized order?

Now that I've got the halides, and a couple SEIOs coming in the mail, I've been dosing B-ionic for a while now, I'm into stocking my tank to patch up some bare rock (which I have a ton of).

I can take any day off during the week to receive an order, or to help acclimate the order once it arrives with someone else. I didn't know if anybody else had to urge to get some corals. I know a lot of people are in the process or are about to be in the process of moving, or clearing out their tanks, so timing may not be the best right now, but thought I would ask to see if there was any interest. I was mainly interested in some SPS and maybe some colorful Zoos/Ricordia.

I'm also setting up that 72BF for Larry and Marie (my girlfriend's parents) so I may even be interested in ordering some liverock.

Let me know, or else I may just go solo. Also chime in with any place you think has some decent pieces for sale. I'm looking for some WICKED colored SPS.

-Erik

Tom Berry
07/26/2004, 04:42 PM
Erik,

well, if you want really nice colored sps, I've got some left. Actually, they're looking so good I'm not sure I want to part with them. Maybe if you twist my arm :D

Before I tear down and restart my tank, I've been testing a new method/system for keeping sps, originating from Germany, called ZEOvit. A number of experienced sps keepers have started, or plan on trying, this method. It shows great promise for keeping really colorful sps.

http://www.captiveoceans.com/

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=384195

It involves running a type of media called zeolite in a special filter which you can buy or make. besides the zeolite, there are 3 other basic components which you add to your tank daily. You also run high quality carbon.

You may want to go slow adding sps until you are sure the ones you have are doing well. Are you looking for frags or colonies? The best place to get colonies is Reefer Madness:

http://www.reefermadness.us/RM-Hand-Picked.htm

Frags generally ship better and cost less (to buy and ship) than colonies. Local reefers are probably the best source :) Another possibility is Dr. Mac. Brad is not real keen on Dr. Mac (Dr. Mac corals don't always look like the pictures, whereas the ones from Reefer Madness most often do.), but he has a number of nice colonies that started as Dr. Mac frags. I have several nice frags that came from Dr. Mac, as well. You can get a deal by having Dr. Mac pick an assortment for you, or you can choose your own.

Both Reefer Madness and Dr. Mac get in new corals regularly, and I would watch the pages until you see some you really like. Dr. Mac just got in some nice new colonies, and some of them may show up on the frags page

http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/newarrivalsl/view_all.nhtml

If something really nice shows up, I might go in with you on an order.

Tom:fish2:

SHOmuchFUN
07/27/2004, 08:57 AM
You're right about going slow...
This wasn't an order that was going to take place tomorrow, but merely a "heads up" that I'm willing to get an order sometime soon. I've got my 2 SEIO m620s coming in the mail today along with my mag5 (for the sump I'm going to buld). This should really bring the polyps out on my corals :D Those 620s pump 620gphx2 in my 55 = :eek1: Around 1240gph in my 55. This doesn't include the return on the mag5!!! I'm going to have a whirlpool 55 on my hands ;)

I'll have to stop back over in a while Tom to take a look at what you have left over. I've still got my heart set on a piece of that shaggy blue in Brad's tank, but he needs to deliver that in person to give me some consulting SPS advice :)

SHOmuchFUN
07/27/2004, 09:56 AM
As for zeovit...
I'll let others use it for a while and see how it goes. I'm not about to start gambling with all the work and money I've spent in my 55. I'm all about keeping it fairly simple in a Berlin style aquarium. If corals don't do well in it, I don't think they deserve to be captive.

Waterbury Guy
07/28/2004, 06:49 AM
Erik,
Is your 55 pre-drilled? When you hook your sump up are you going to continue to run your Remora Pro off the back of your 55?

SHOmuchFUN
07/28/2004, 08:55 AM
No, it's not drilled. I'm going to be running a U-tube overflow off the back. I'm going to still use the remora, but I'm going to take it off the back and place it on the lip of the sump in the 1st chamber (overflow water). It'll just spill back into the first chamber and run into a small refugium. I have a mag5 for a return, not much, but it should put 250-300gph into the display, which is enough to turn over the sump efficiently.

I just got the two SEIO m620s yesterday and the mag5. I took off the flow diverter on the SEIOs so it looks more like a tunze-stream, but I have to admit, I thought it would circulate a bit better than it felt. The lights were off though and I guess it's hard to really guage because the stream path is so much wider. It actually gives about the same flow as an MJ900, but in a path that's about 4x wider.

Waterbury Guy
07/28/2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks. Maybe when you have your sump all set up I could stop by to take a look. I'm running a system simlar to yours minus the halides and minus the sump. Eventually I'd like to add a sump.