PDA

View Full Version : Lionfish...

PhoenixINX
07/25/2004, 12:46 PM
Whereas we talk about the decline of reefs, etc...

I found this article to be interesting, as the Pterois volitan tends to be growing in population... even around our coasts!!!

I'm an now on my second black volitan, and must say he's a favortie for guests!!!

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/images/lionfish-atlanticocean2.jpg

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/s2264.htm

reewik
07/25/2004, 01:08 PM
When I went to Florida I read about their presents and the increase in population off the coast. There were also several other new inhabitants being monitored. This is believed to be becuse of people getting into the hobby then releasing the fish when they get to big or the people get bored.

The same goes with other fish in the freshwater arena. I have even heard of cases where people have released camens into the wild.

There are actually several animals that have been intoduced this way.

I too am a fan on the Lion fish. They are such an impressive looking fish. I have never actually owned one but love the way they both act and look.

PhoenixINX
07/25/2004, 10:30 PM
My latest boy has taken VERY well to my tank, along with the new Queen Angel...

If i could only figure out WHAT IN THE HELL algae I have growing all over my sand I'd be thrilled!

... btw, went to a remora hang-on skimmer... good GOD this thing is 500x nicer than the sea clone nonesense I had.

Here's my Lion, with a good sight of my algae problem... Anyone want to take a stab at this one?

http://www.crawfordz.com/chris/liononsand.jpg

fishdoc11
07/25/2004, 10:35 PM
Pretty fish!

PhoenixINX
07/25/2004, 11:12 PM
No clue on the algae?????? :(

Countzer0
07/25/2004, 11:59 PM
cyanobacteria

reewik
07/26/2004, 06:20 AM
I would agree, are you topping off with RO/DI?

gflat65
07/26/2004, 06:55 AM
Cyano for sure. How is current, lighting age, etc.?

PhoenixINX
07/26/2004, 06:16 PM
Yes on the RO/DI.

High current. Lighting... 80w over a yr old.

rcmike
07/26/2004, 06:22 PM
I would try changing out the bulb/bulbs. Sometimes the old bulbs cause it to grow as the spectrum shifts.

fishdoc11
07/26/2004, 07:02 PM
Cyano here also. It thrives where there are too many DOC's(disolved organic compounds) in the water and not enough flow. You might try carbon at the rate of 1 cup per 50gallons. Change it every 2 days for a week and then monthly. Also skimming wet will help along with increasing your flow.
Chris

PhoenixINX
07/26/2004, 11:14 PM
Skimming wet????

gflat65
07/27/2004, 06:12 PM
Let your skimmer pull off a really wet foam instead of a dry foam. This will require emptying the cup more often. Depending on the skimmer, you can usually adjust by increasing air and/or pump flow.

PhoenixINX
07/27/2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by gflat65
Let your skimmer pull off a really wet foam instead of a dry foam. This will require emptying the cup more often. Depending on the skimmer, you can usually adjust by increasing air and/or pump flow.

Remora Pro EV120

http://www.marinedepot.com/IMD/ps_ac_acr_s.jpg

I traditionally empty it as the cup fills... oddly this skimmer pulls quite a bit of liquid even.

fishdoc11
07/27/2004, 09:36 PM
You will pull more of the stuff out you want to pull out if you skim wetter. Basically with the problem you have now you want to pull as much of that stuff out as you can. Overall what is the filtration and flow system on your tank besides the skimmer? How much live rock, deepness of sandbed, plenum?, powerheads, return pump etc... Also what is your bioload?
Chris

PhoenixINX
07/31/2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by fishdoc11
You will pull more of the stuff out you want to pull out if you skim wetter. Basically with the problem you have now you want to pull as much of that stuff out as you can. Overall what is the filtration and flow system on your tank besides the skimmer? How much live rock, deepness of sandbed, plenum?, powerheads, return pump etc... Also what is your bioload?
Chris

Eheim 2217, that Remora... and a Maxi 1200 firing through a spraybar for flow.

No live rock, only the lace. 4-5" Southdown.

Lion, Queen Angel, Sohal Tang, Heniochus, Har Tusk, and Spotted Hawk...

From what I would think, I'm carrying a light load

fishdoc11
07/31/2004, 07:56 PM
What is that size Eheim rated for and what is the flow comming out of it?
Chris

fishdoc11
07/31/2004, 08:10 PM
Ok, nevermind, I looked it up. You have about 7X turnover which I guess is fine for a FO but is a low turnover rate. IMO you also are heavily stocked although with very nice fish. You have 3 fish that will be huge(lion, queen and Sohal). You might want to consider adding another canister filter, maybe a couple more MJ 1200's or running the remora with a mag 5 or 7 or all three would actually be good. You also might want to just wait and see if it will go away in a couple of months but with the load and filtration you have I doubt it will. Also you might consider seeding that lace rock with some live rock or some Garf grunge. Just some ideas and JMO:-)
Chris