PDA

View Full Version : in town next week, any LFS recommendations

cee
07/24/2004, 08:22 PM
Can anyone recommend a LFS to me when I come to town next week? Since y'all are a lot closer to LA than I, I was hoping your SPS selection would be better to choose from than what I have available here. Help is appreciated!

TippyToeX
07/24/2004, 09:21 PM
Hi commiphora :)

Our LFS are not good at all. We have one, Green Valley Aquarium (55 South Gibson Rd, Henderson 89102.) and is doing good. Yet it is way off the strip. I would much rather encourage you to see the aquarium attractions along the strip

Mirage, behind the check in counter.

Caesars, next to cheesecake factory.

Seahorse Lounge, also in Caesars.

Mandalay Bay, Shark Reef.

Bellagio, Sushi bar has a jelly fish tank.

MGM Grand, RainForest Cafe.. it's ok.

Las Vegas Natural History Museum

orionsmamma
07/25/2004, 02:10 PM
Is there some way we could make a sticky out of a thread like this?? Seems like several people have asked recently.

opihi
07/26/2004, 11:52 AM
Green Valley Aquarium is a decent enough LFS, but i doubt you will find the SPS selection you're after.

they get 3 or 4 SPS pieces each thursday/friday, but the quality of the pieces are inconsistent. 2 weeks ago, they got 2 nice walt smith mini colonies, but last week they got 3 pure wild pieces. one piece was bleached, one had algae growing at the base, and the last was a shape that would be impossible to light adequately with MH (like a giant thumb).

TippyToeX
07/26/2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by orionsmamma
Is there some way we could make a sticky out of a thread like this?? Seems like several people have asked recently.

A good idea Donna. I think we will get a post together when we get more feedback from this (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=392669) thread. Then ask one of the Mods to put it up as a locked sticky for us.

cee
07/26/2004, 10:02 PM
I'll check it out, as I'm staying in Lake Las Vegas. So, do all the acro fiends just drive to LA to do their "shopping"? I figured with such a large population, there had to be some SPS interest out there.

opihi
07/27/2004, 01:51 AM
well, i work PT at Green Valley Aquariums so i usually get first pick at their SPS. other than that, there's mail order and driving to LA. i'd like to try trading locally.

enjoy your visit here. bring shorts!

Shak
07/27/2004, 11:33 PM
My first suggestion, search, since about 10-15 ppl a month ask this exact same question (dont make the linky clicky master go to work).

The answer: no store here specializes in SPS or even has a large selection. GVA is by far the best, but the struggle to provide selection, as well as to rotate stock and make a profit, tends to hamper Chris's abiliity to provide a wide selection. Hopefully this will change soon, as most of us are striving to support his efforts and help him to justify his investment. In the last month since GVA has listened to Chris and his suggestions and input, i have invested $300+ at his business and intend to keep stocking my reef exclusively from his store. Hopefully more here will do the same.

Other than GVA, your best bet is to go home and appreciate the stores in your area that are struggling to support our hobby, and not waste your time in Las Vegas doing anything but gambling and supporting our economy :)