PDA

View Full Version : Diseases Caused By Dino's?

aquababy
07/23/2004, 08:03 AM
Dear Steve,
While reading your article in RK magazine about marine velvet disease I was reminded of a similar disease that presented itself in one of my marine holding systems. The symptoms of this disease were somewhat like that described in your article with an important exception. The disease presented itself as a coating of fine spots covering the fish's body and these spots seemed to be off white in color. The interesting observation was that these spots began to dissappear when the lights were turned on and within a relatively short period of time they seemed to totally vanish only to be visible the next day after the overnight period of darkness. I used these symptoms to search for information about this disease, although I cannot remember the specific name assigned (It was not Brooklynella), the article suggested that it was caused by dino's and a cure could be found by keeping the infected areas under constant illumination for I believe, and my memory again fails me, 48 hours or possibly longer. I did find that this teatment was effective.
Are you at all familiar with the disease that I have described above?
Bob

Steven Pro
07/25/2004, 05:09 PM
I have never heard of anything that matches those symptoms, but give me a few days to investigate further.

I noticed you list photography as an interest. Did you happened to take some pictures of this ailment?

aquababy
07/25/2004, 05:22 PM
Sorry,
That happened a number of years ago before digital cameras were perfected enough to show the required detail needed. I will try to recall the refernces I used back then, or perhaps try a new search to see if I can locate information I had read. If I do I will post it here. I hope your investigation prooves fruitful as well.

aquababy
07/25/2004, 07:18 PM
Steve,
Although I was unable to find the exact reference I previosly read, it was part of a scientific journal on the topic, I did find one site that does make some vague reference to light being used to help in completeing one portion of the dino's life cycle thusly aiding in a quicker cure. I will continue to search for the original information - the disease mentioned here is Velvet or Rust disease: http://www.aquaculture.bz/fish-disease/Velvet-Disease.html The reference to light can be found in the first paragraph under hte heading "Treatment".

Steven Pro
07/27/2004, 09:55 AM
I took a look at the above link, but the only reference I could find to keeping the lights on 24/7 was in regards to freshwater velvet. And, I should add that this is the exact opposite advice that I read in my own references. Noga & Levy in "Fish Diseases and Disorders. Volume 1: Protozoan and Metazoan Infections" briefly mention keeping the lights off in a tank infected with freshwater velvet, Piscinoodinium (many times still referred to its old name of Oodinium). I don't have the book that they reference, but you may want to further investigate it by searching for "Diseases of Fishes" by C. van Duijn Jr. published in 1973.

The big difference between the two (Amyloodinium/Marine Velvet and Piscinoodinium/Freshwater Velvet) is Piscinoodinium has chloroplasts and is believed to derive some nutrition from photosynthesis while Amyloodinium does not and should not be directly affected by lighting one way or the other.

aquababy
07/27/2004, 10:06 AM
I did in fact notice what the link I sent did say but it was not the actual information I had read years ago - I still cannot find it. I do also remember leaving the lights on for 48 hours as the earlier information prescribed for marine infestation and it worked. What caused me to apply what I had read back then was my observation that the spots did actually dissipate shortly after truning on my lights. I will keep searching and let you know if I find the original article.

Steven Pro
07/27/2004, 10:57 AM
Ok, let me know what you find.