PDA

View Full Version : where to buy southdown locally?

z_rivers
07/19/2004, 11:30 PM
im setting up a 40gal and i dont feel like paying 20$ a bag for caribsea argonite. does anyone know anywhere locally to buy southdown or has an extra? i need about 50 lbs. home depot and lowes in cranberry doesnt have any in stock.

musicsmaker
07/20/2004, 09:39 PM
I know I've bought it at home depot both in Robinson Town Center, and in whatever town Seahorse is in (sorry I forget the name). Be sure to look around in the lawn and garden area on your own. Every time I've ever went there they always tried to send me to the back where the other stuff was.

Oh, they also might not be calling it Southdown anymore. Just be sure you get "tropical playsand" from the Caribbean.

z_rivers
07/20/2004, 09:45 PM
thanks music. ill have to check out robinson, my dad lives out that way.

pixburg-reefer
07/21/2004, 07:50 AM
seahorse in in Allison park :)
Kelly

Steven Pro
07/21/2004, 08:19 AM
Has anyone seen any recently? I have looked at the Home Depots in West Mifflin, Monroeville, and Greensburg without any luck and have heard that North Versailles and Camp Horm Road have both switched to only carrying a silica sand. The brand name is High Desert or something like that.

davetkoch
07/29/2004, 11:36 PM
I've looked all over with no luck. I talked to a rep at HD about transfers, but they are limited to within district only. :rolleyes:

pixburg-reefer
07/30/2004, 08:04 AM
what does silica sand do to a reef tank? Why can't you use that?
Just wondering. I want to set up my second tank, and don't want to buy the wrong sand...
Kelly

Steven Pro
07/30/2004, 08:11 AM
It is an often debated subject. Some believe silica sand will dissolve small amounts and encourage diatom blooms. Others point that silica sand is largely unable to dissolve under standard aquarium conditions. At the very least, we can all agree that silica sand will not give you the buffering capacity and trace element additions that aragonite sand does.

There is also some arguement about whether the sharp, jagged sides of silica sand are detrimental to the worms and other cirtters that aragonite DSB generally encourage.

pixburg-reefer
07/30/2004, 08:17 AM
good morning. Thank you, that is all i wanted to know :)
Kelly

z_rivers
07/30/2004, 11:12 AM
also, silica sand tends to look yellow in reef tanks rather than white like argonite.

pixburg-reefer
08/02/2004, 01:57 PM
hey while your out here at aquaworld, the ome depot is like 2 minuets from the store. So you could check their.
Kelly