PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Got Reef?

Reefer Dude
10/08/2001, 01:44 PM
I was just looking around on the board and I saw a post by a guy named Bay Area Reef Creations. His website is www.gotreef.com . Anyone know anything about him or his business. Just cheking, I am going to give them a call.

dsb1829
10/09/2001, 06:46 PM
Hey Justin,

I haven't heard of him. Or at least no feed back. I have seen the page before. Leaves a little to be desired. Just seems if you are going to run a business image you should take more care in detail to the photographs.

How is your setup coming along? I haven't checked your site for a while. I know you are pretty geared up as far as the equipment and corals are concerned.

Any update on that skimmer?

take it easy,

:smokin:

dsb1829
10/18/2001, 10:44 AM
Okay, so it turns out that I do know the guy who owns the shop. He was working for a wholesaler or something like that, so he has experience with some interesting setups. Memory is a bit hazy on our conversation, but he was just setting up about 6 months ago. I sold our 140g tank to him. He was planning on using it as a sump. Basically he planned on setting up shop similar to Aquatic reflections, but down in South San Jose. He still has one of my nylon tie downs, I will have to get that back from him at some point.

At any rate, I just found out that he, Bob Warrick, is the guy behind GotReef.com. I think he is a pretty cool guy and should have his shop close to fully operational at this point.

take care,

Bay Area Reef Design
11/01/2001, 01:21 PM
Hi guys,

I am one of the guys who runs gotreef.com. We are down in the south bay area and we are hoping to open a store in the south bay in the next few months. I had the pleasure of meeting a few of you ( Doug, Matthew, Allyson) on Monday and I look forward to coming to next months meeting.

Doug, sorry you didn't like the site! I am by no means a web designer and after the fortune we have put in our tanks I cant afford to hire one, so for now people may need to put up with a very plain site. My hope is that our quality and selection makes up for the quality of the site........ You have seen what we have to offer, what do you think?

Again I look forward to meeting you all and hope all is well with the rock you all picked up.

Bob.

Allyson
11/02/2001, 12:15 AM
This is Allyson.

We bought some Southdown sand and LR from Bob and he gave us a tour of his tanks in his home. The tanks were gorgeous and healthy and I really liked what Bob had to say. For now, he sells stuff out of his home and sets up tanks for people. The things that impressed me about him were that he really cares about his livestock and he really appears to love the hobby. I got a sense that he wanted to set a new, higher quality, standard for the Bay Area in the way aquatic creatures are cared for in the process of sale. He insists that his fish in the display tanks always have live rock with them to make them more comfortable. Rather than buying fish from local distributors, he drives to LA to buy his livestock from a place where he says it's more expensive but they acclimate and care for their fish very humanely. I really like him and I hope his store does well. We joked that if he'd only buy that store in Mountain View from that nasty little guy on Castro St....

Allyson

dsb1829
11/02/2001, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Allyson

that nasty little guy on Castro St....

ROTF http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/otn/realhappy/mhihi.gifhttp://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/laughing/laugh2.gifhttp://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/otn/laughing/icon_smile_lachuh.gif

Nobody really likes that guy. He is a bit upity and quite strange. I think he has ADD or something. He can actually be pretty cool, but you have to catch him when it isn't busy in the shop. That is not too often, the place gets a lot of business.

As far as the Got Reef store:

I was very impressed with the setup. He is really still gearing up at this point, but his display and frag tanks are up. The health and cleanliness of both of his display tanks goes a long way to show what kind of shop he is setting up. I personally think he should keep it in the garage as long as he can. Overhead is much less that way:D .

His corals all looked good. I can't wait until our 180 is back up to speed so I can go shopping. Seriously beautiful corals. Both Bob and side kick Tom are good guys. I am sure I will be going there and refering to them a lot in the future.

Bob, sorry for picking at the site. It really doesn't do your setup justice. I know that web development is expensive if you outsource it and timely if you don't. Maybe a couple of overall tank pics would help people get an idea for what you have there.

Reef_l33t
11/12/2001, 12:21 AM
Hi,
I just found this club, don't know if I am welcome to write in this forum, but I really wanted to know where the gotreef.com home is located. I am in San Jose and am really interested in the Neon Green SPS. I want to convert my entire tank to SPS, if anyone has any SPS they can frag I will trade with some Xenia, a very large branching pagoda, colt corals, and a HUGE bubble if anyone is looking to take care of a large LPS. Drop me a line if your interested! It would be nice to trade with people from the bay area and conserve wild bought and caught animals.

Tenner
11/12/2001, 11:35 AM
Reef_l33t,

Check out our website at www.bareonline.org

Every three to four months we hold a propagation meeting. Great place to pick up frags. Check out the thread from our last meeting.

Thanks
Matthew

dsb1829
11/14/2001, 11:52 AM
reef_l33t,

Glad you found us. There are a few in the club keeping sps, but for the most part we are kind of a collective learning group. We have everything from kids and their first tanks to experienced reef keepers.

There are lots of great sps colors and growth patterns. some are more demanding of light and flow than others. That takes a bit of research and also tapping into others experiences with the corals. I just picked up our first table top acro from got reef last weekend. Do some research, come to meetings, hang out, and share your experiences. Kind of a drive from San Jose, but we come another 30mi from Santa Cruz.

See you around the boards and maybe at our meetings:D