PDA

View Full Version : Any northern indiana reefers?

grallster
07/17/2004, 11:40 AM
Just wondering if there were any other reefers around the South Bend area.

RamJet
07/17/2004, 04:27 PM
Valparaiso, here.

playful1
07/17/2004, 04:42 PM
How far North? Lafayette here, there is also a FT Wayne reef club...

grallster
07/17/2004, 05:13 PM
I live in South Bend--don't know of too many reefers up here.

playful1
07/17/2004, 05:13 PM
Nope you are the only one...JK

grallster
07/17/2004, 05:14 PM
I just may be! :mad:

Aged Salt
07/17/2004, 06:41 PM
I interned in So Bend.....does that count?:) Bob

not ecooper
07/17/2004, 07:43 PM
lol My parents live in Plymouth, IN.....not far from SB. As far as I know, the only places to get fish up there is Petco's. Is that true? Might be worth a visit to my psychotic (manic depressive) mother if there is a fish store visit involved...

Aged Salt
07/17/2004, 07:46 PM
Interesting Emily, I grew-up next door in Knox:) Bob

grallster
07/17/2004, 07:52 PM
There are a couple of meager places up here to buy reef stuff, but nothing worth driving up here for that's for sure. If there are any good places up here--I don't know about them. If someone does know of a place in the South Bend/Elkhart area--please, please, clue me in on it!

shaw
07/17/2004, 09:24 PM
Hey there, my family is in South Bend, and i'm up there quite often. if you ever need any frags get a hold of me
thanks
shawn

not ecooper
07/17/2004, 09:47 PM
Bahhhh!!! Not KNOX!!!! lol

Sorry, in Plymouth, we always make fun of people from Knox. At one point of my life I was dating a black man, and the first time he went home with me and saw a sign that said, "Knox" he refused to go home with me again unless I took the long way on 31 home from my Grandmother's house. lol

Aged Salt
07/17/2004, 10:11 PM
Emily:lol: yea, I know---we felt the same way about Plymouth:D Bob....BTW, I believe at that time the "grand knight" of the KKK lived in Knox.

castor
07/17/2004, 11:01 PM
Hey grallster!! I think I may be one of the closest to you so far (though not very). I live in lovely :rolleyes: Kendallville which is a bit south of Angola.

There is a FW reef club and we actually just had a meeting today. They aren't too established yet and always looking for any members. I guess with summer being the slow time for this hobby (I still don't fully get that, I mean, I guess people are out doing other things more and on vacations and all) there were only 5 of us there today. :D It would be a bit of a drive for you, but maybe give a little thought to coming on over sometime. I know in a few months we are going to get a tour of the Fort Wayne childrens zoo and the new shark tank they just set up.

off topic- did you know Indiana has the 2nd most KKK members in it compared to the rest of the country? Stupid peoples. :mixed:

not ecooper
07/17/2004, 11:19 PM
Hey Bob....our senior video actually got banned for having too many Knox jokes. *laughs*

Aged Salt
07/18/2004, 03:39 AM
Now listen-up, pilgrim[in my best John Wayne voice] I believe the head of the KKK is called the "grand wizard"--maybe b/c he's from the land of OZ:lol: Bob

Freed
07/18/2004, 04:40 AM
Ft. Wayne here. That's really odd you guys mention the KKK. I don't like it, don't condone it. Me and my family were in Culver today and were touring a house where my dad used to live. The now owner told us he knew the "grand wizard" and his son back in the day 30 or so years ago. This guy wasn't in the KKK though. What a small world. Freed

not ecooper
07/18/2004, 08:29 AM
*laughs* Culver is right by Plymouth/Knox...thats why. Small, small world.

Glad I took up this hobby while in college at Purdue, and continued it here in Terre Haute....otherwise, it would have been hell to find ANYTHING.

grallster
07/18/2004, 09:28 AM
Yes, shaw, or any of you other folks--I'd love some frags if you're ever up this way! Send me the date of the next Fort Wayne meeting and maybe i'll head on over there.
Dave

justgettinstarted
07/18/2004, 02:15 PM
hmm, i thought he was called the grad coogle or something? at home in sand diego.. out in the east county there is a heavy pop of those guys... David Duke lives out there... he ran for govenor when i was in high school.. haha and not much after that the kkk volunteered to patroll the border with mexico for free!!!! hmmm HAHA, i wonder what they had in mind?

Aged Salt
07/18/2004, 02:33 PM
Malo, Amigo, malo:) Bob

shaw
07/18/2004, 02:38 PM
Lakeville, or lapaz, ring a bell. i'm up there every month. i have a bunch of different kinds of frags. just email me for some pics
thanks
shawn

not ecooper
07/18/2004, 02:48 PM
lol All of that was before my time....

I have friends in Canada, and I just got done telling her how darned backward Indiana was....

grallster
07/19/2004, 07:16 AM
Yeah shaw, send me some pics and let me know when you're coming up and I'll meet you.
Thanks,
Dave

jonnyringo
07/28/2004, 10:30 AM
I am from south Bend, So if you guys wanna trade frags feel free to hit me up.

shaw
07/28/2004, 04:26 PM
I will be coming up there this weekend, if anyone wants to trade. i am also looking for some extra equipment, if anyone has anything.
thanks
shawn

ejsimcox
07/28/2004, 10:55 PM
Castor, I get up your way on a semi-regular basis. I go to a lake a couple extis north of Angola - Freemont.

My fam is from South Bend and LaPorte, but I just don't get back much.

Shawn, don't you have some tanks at your parents' house? in SB?

castor
07/28/2004, 11:53 PM
ejsimcox, that's good to know, I live 12mins straight off 69, exit 134.

What type of corals do you keep and do you frag?

ejsimcox
07/29/2004, 11:16 AM
Just about anything that I can grow under my crappy PC lights right now. I have had some pretty good success with some SPS. I will post some pics in the gallery shortly.

Moving to MH lighting as soon as I free up the cash.

shaw
07/29/2004, 02:37 PM
Well, i had a 5 year old tank at my parents, but it just crashed last month.
but, if anyone want any frags, i will be up there on friday
thanks
shawn

jonnyringo
07/29/2004, 08:21 PM
hey shawn what kinda frags do you have I am interested, unfortunatley I dont have any to trade right now so maybe i could buy a few?
either e-mail me or PM me.
Matt

shaw
07/29/2004, 09:12 PM
pretty much anything. i have a lot of zoanthids at the moments. just name it
shawn

jonnyringo
07/29/2004, 09:28 PM
I am looking for a few pieces of SPS some montipora and some acropora, let me know when I can swing by I would love to see what you have. But really am looking for most anything. :)

Natt

shaw
07/31/2004, 09:27 AM
Natt

ya, i just brought a fella named Dave a few sps corals.
I have quite a few montiporas, most colors. About 15 different acros. i will send you some pics
shawn

ckaldahl
08/24/2004, 12:18 PM
I am in LaPorte. I have some frags-Zoanthids and Kenya tree corals and shrooms. I am just setting up a 200 gallon in wall in my new house and had a montipora capricornis that was 8-10 inches across but he didn't survive the move for some reason. I was just getting ready to frag him too. He was a real nice yellow color.

As far as good LFS in the area-there is Pet Haven in Portage and Age of Aquariums in Goshen or Elkhart. I have never been the AOA but my brother has and he says they are OK. Pet Haven is good. Kenny has a decent selection but he is pretty pricey. It is pretty slim pickins up here. The LFS in LaPorte (Finish Line Pet and Hobby) sucks. They use tap water and don't even acclimate any of their shipments of livestock. All their fish have ick and will contaminate your tank.

Harbor Aquatics was THE BEST but closed its doors unfortunately.
She had a 10000 gallon system and about 500 corals of all different kinds. SPS-LPS you name it. It was setup in a greenhouse.

Reply back if anyone in the neighborhood wants to trade some frags.

I have met JohnnyRingo. I let him borrow some of my Metal Halide bulbs to try to see if he liked 10K or 14K.

CK

jonnyringo
08/24/2004, 02:33 PM
Hey chris hows it goin
You have to get me some pics of that 200.
What kinda Zoa frags do you have? I might be interested in picking some up from you.

PS
I have gotten one of Chris's Kenya tree frags and They were very nice.

snarfe
09/01/2004, 04:08 PM
hey all....haha i keep reading your guys talk about the kkk, well i'm in kokomo and you peeps should be here every once and awhile...cause we still have kkk meetings like once a year right in front of the court house! its funny stuff

ladyshark
09/11/2004, 01:56 PM
Hi all--I live in Griffith (just east and south of Gary) guess a little too far to stop by in South Bend--also looking for northern IN/Lake County reefers.

That KKK thing is amazing to me. I always thought they started down south, but I think it all began in Chesterton IN which is to this day the "capital" I think. And knowing some of the attitudes, I believe it. Very sorry bunch of folk.

matt the fiddler
09/11/2004, 02:11 PM
well butler county was also a high county for them.... and they almost bought valparaiso university way back when. whew. that would not have been good.

grallster
09/11/2004, 02:22 PM
Griffith isn't too far from South Bend, if you want to trade frags sometime.
Dave