PDA

View Full Version : LFS recommendations in DC needed.

NFed16
07/16/2004, 08:24 PM
I will be traveling to DC a couple times this summer and I would like to see some LFS’s in the area. Any recommendations or addresses would be great. Thanks.

crescent1
07/18/2004, 09:17 PM
let me find the address for some places and i will post them

NFed16
07/18/2004, 10:34 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

luceneck
07/20/2004, 10:32 AM
I can either give you a list of a majority of places in the area or the better ones I have been to. there are a few that I wouldn't waste my time with, others that are expensive but real nice, and the last is ones that have great live stock but crappy conditions. Let me know!

NFed16
07/20/2004, 11:09 AM
All of the stores would be great, especially if you could just put a * next to the good qualiy stores. Thanks.

Kinda off topic but if you have one or two reccomendations for stores in Baltimore that would just make my day. Thanks again.

luceneck
07/20/2004, 12:00 PM
OK this list was done by KrackerG at nano-reef.com

All give an explanation of each that I have been to.

Here are a few places worth a trip, then you can choose from below as well.

Roozens has a huge fish supply, but their quality is questionable at best.
Marine scene is very professional/clean and worth the trip, but bring a ton of cash very expensive
Aquarium Center is big has tons of fish, quality is questionable, but the also have good prices on other stuff
Exotic Aquatics is just like marine scene. Upscale LFS with upscale prices but worth the trip.

Those are the places I would visit, but there are many on this list that I have never been to. Have fun

Aquarium Center
Randallstown, MD
www.aquariumcenter.com
800-813-8172
- Huge store with tons of Live and dry goods fish quality is ok-bad
------------------------------
Aquatic Creations Ltd.
Urbana, MD
301-831-8200
never been
Aquatic World
Leesburg, VA
703-779-7692
never been
Blue Lagoon Aquarium
Rockville, MD
301-
Ok store, ok prices not much interms of fish or drygoods
Centreville Aquarium
Centerville, VA
703-266-2100
never been
Congressional Aquarium
Rockville, MD
301-881-6182
expensive, quality of fish is bad and few fish
Dr Mac's and Son
Salisbury, MD (ONLINE ONLY UNTIL JULY 2004)
www.drmaccorals.com
443-614-1955
NOt sure if they are open yet, it is out on the coast
Exotic AquaticS
Baltimore, MD
www.exoticaquatics.com
410-668-1200
Great store, with dry goods and fish. Good people but a bit expensive
House Of Tropicals
Glen Burnie, MD
410-761-1113
Decent stock and dry goods, and cheap prices. Fish quality is ok
The Marine Scene
Reston, VA
www.marinescene.com
703-689-2815
Great store, fish and dry goods. Probably the best one, but expensive. Best that I have been to
Maru Petsits
Fredricksburg, VA
540-891-2704
don't know
Neptune's Den
Bel Air, MD
(410) 515-7744
don't know
RD Fish & Pets
Waldorf, MD
(301) 870-9311
don't know
The Reef Tank
Fairfax, VA
http://www.reefstore.com/
703-978-1700
don't know but want to go
Rick's Fish & Pet Supply
Frederick, MD
301-831-4747
don't know
Roozen's Nursery and Aquatics
Ft. Washington, MD
www.roozens.com/
301-248-2500
Cheap, tons of fish and dry goods. Quality is 0k-bad. They do alot of import and distribution so they have tons of everything.
Superpets
Annandale, VA
703-256-2400
Fish quality is poor, prices are good and they have a large supply of dry goods
That Fish Place
Lancaster, PA
www.thatfishplace.com
888-842-8738
don't know but they are a sponsor here
Ultimate Saltwater Aquariums
Ft. Washington, MD
http://www.usaquariums.net/
301-292-8351
I went there the past month and their fish were still in QT. Will be a good store, call ahead to find out
Pets Etc.
Leesburg, VA
703-771-7347
don't know
-----------------------------
Vienna Aquarium
Vienna, VA
703-242-0553
don't know
Wally's Aquarium
Alexandria, VA
http://store.yahoo.com/wallysaquarium
703-354-3399
Went there yesterday. Poor fish quality and prices weren't worth it

NFed16
07/20/2004, 01:57 PM
Wow! I've gotten helpful responses before but that one takes the cake. Thanks again.

luceneck
07/20/2004, 02:54 PM
no problem!! I didn't build that list it was a copy and paste job. Let me know when you are in town, I always need a reason to go to a LFS.

ProdigalPoster
07/21/2004, 04:42 PM
Hey Ya'll, nice list I must add.

I've been a return customer to Wally's Aquarium and I must say it is over priced> They gave me a sick clown and would not replace it even when they recongized their error, poor quality and customer service from most people there. Since I recently found the Reef Tank I will not return.

As for the Reef Tank, its the only coral farm in VA (1,500 gallons of coral farming, not including the tanks you actually pick from). Amazing selection, good prices compared to places I've seen and great quality. Few to little dry goods, small selection of fish, but a friendly group. For your coral needs its a must.

NFed16
07/21/2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks Sean. So no stores at all within the city of DC?

ProdigalPoster
07/27/2004, 03:03 AM
You know, concerning the Reef Store(tank) whatever, I have to retract my previous statement. When I had intially gone I was impressed, but these passed couple of times I've been really disappointed. Also something to bring to your attention, they have terrible Aiptasia on almost all their coral, so be careful.

For fragments I have yet to find a good place, but I do have to say that the Reef does offer some coral I have not seen at other places.

I'm going to check out Marine Scene today, and possibly Roozans as well.

mikesroth
07/27/2004, 07:35 AM
To be honest, it seems like most of the stores in the area have a problem with Aiptasia lately. We even saw them up at the National Aquarium. Do think it is funny that the stores that are selling "Joe's Juice" seem to have the worst problems. You'd think they'd burn a bottle to get rid of the problem. :)

NFed16
07/27/2004, 11:00 AM
I only had time to stop at one store this weekend so I stopped at Exotic Aquatics. The store was great (way better than what I am used to up North.) They have a huge selection of fish, all who looked to be in excellent shape. I bought a bunch of great looking frags and I would highly recommend this store to everyone.

luceneck
07/27/2004, 11:32 AM
They are definetly a high quality store.
Another one similar to that is Marine scene in VA. It is right next to Dulles airport. Only problem is their are a bit expensive.

thanks for the input nfed!!

JumboShrimp
07/30/2004, 08:30 PM
centreville aquarium is down the street from me, I could walk there in an hour and a half. Anyway, they have a very nice 500 gallon tank, but nothing in it is for sale, cept for some shrooms and some red sponge. There prices are very high as well, but I take the trip down there just to look, I bought a yellow headed jawfish there, It ided on second day, but It was unhealthy when I bought it.... The nassarius snails I got there are dooing well, as are the hermits. Oh I almost forgot, I went down there when they had a shipment of 15 skunk claeners and took one off there hnads for them, hes dooing mighty fine. Occasionally they will have some nice corals... The people there DO know what there talking about, but also try to make a sale when ever possible. at times they arnt very helpfull. Id give them a 6.8 out of 10

The reef tank, GREAT PLACE!!! GO THERE!! im going tmrw, I have bought 2 percs, a lobo brain, a elephant ear shroom rock from them, all dooing great! (cept for one perc that died, but that was my fualt for not covering my power head's impeller. They have very few dry goods, But they carry tropical play sand.... and a few test kits... sometimes other stuff, But the specialize in corals. The entire back end of the store of dedicated to coral propagation. (costomers not allowed back there. They have a HUGE selection of softies, LPS, and SPS corals, They have a limited but very heathy fish selection. I give them 9 out of 10.

tygger
08/08/2004, 11:47 AM
Wait, the Reef Tank has 2 sections? How can I tell what section I was in? I walked in from the back of the buildings and it was a small showroom(or atleast I thought it was their main room). Can you describe which part was which?

mikesroth
08/08/2004, 06:10 PM
LOL I am not a huge fan of the Reef Tank,but mostly because I tend to get there just after they close. :P

Later this summer Dr. Mac's is supposed to open. He told me he was about a month out. We were able to go up there this past Saturday, he stuff looks great!!!!

Michael

anthworks
08/10/2004, 10:54 AM
I get all my stuff from Dr. Mac.

tygger
08/10/2004, 01:58 PM
I saw his website... that place definately looks promissing.

How long is the drive from DC?

mikesroth
08/10/2004, 02:09 PM
It is about midway between Cambridge and Salisbury on Rt 50. So I guess it would depend on how bad the traffic is across the bay bridge. :)

Took us around 2 hours or so to get there, with a good wait to get over the bridge, and then traffic again at 404.

Michael

JumboShrimp
08/14/2004, 07:06 PM
Costomers arnt allowed in the coral propogation area.... You were in the normal area.

anthworks
08/15/2004, 01:26 PM
There is a place in Rockville "Walnut Hill" Tropical Fish. They don't have a lot of salt water fish but they will order them. The owner is a marine biologist and knows healthy fish. They will hold your order in QT before you buy and I have had good luck with them.