PDA

View Full Version : RO water set up

vermonter310
07/16/2004, 03:06 PM
I'm interested in what everyone's using for RO systems. I am concerned about so much wastewater as I am on a well; pressure may also be a problem. I am thinking seriously about using a system that screws into the faucet aerator to make water then unhooked and put away until needed again. Does anyone use this type of system? I only use about 3 to four gallons of top off a week and about 15 gallons for H2O changes every other week. Does anyone or has anyone used smaller non-permanent setups in the past that worked well? Any thoughts would be helpful.
Also, Anyone know where to buy RO water locally (Brunswick) as a temporary fix? This brown crap is really wearing on me.....

Thanks

Mike

Icepic
07/16/2004, 03:09 PM
being on a well you might look at a booster pump for the presure ..

also if you could i would look at running a hose from the waste line back into the well so you are not wasting a bunch of water ..

SOMEthinsFISHY
07/21/2004, 05:10 AM
I have a pinacle professional unit that i have not even installed yet does 200 gals in a day and it was around 400 dols discounted !

Hedonist
07/21/2004, 05:31 PM
Do they make a unit that screws onto the aerator? I have mine directly plumbed to a line in the laundry room.... I have a float valve to shut off the unit when my tub was full so the RO only runs when I am making water... I developed a leak in my tub so for now I just turn the system off with a small valve when I need to... seems as tho that may be just as easy instead of putting a faucet out of use while you make RO?????

call Craig and get some tips/info from him 866-835-2797 or email at cwinter@suscom-maine.net... he might be useful in giving you advice... but beware of buying a small unit if you may need a bigger one in the future ;)

ttyl
dg

SOMEthinsFISHY
07/22/2004, 05:18 AM
the float valve is a good idea !

dkh0331
07/22/2004, 05:47 AM
In our old home, I had my RO/DI unit in our laundry room. I bought a valve controled "Y" splitter and connected that to the washers cold water line. One line went to the washer and the other to the RO/DI unit. Worked well.

HTH

David

SOMEthinsFISHY
07/22/2004, 03:34 PM
sounds good david !

Hedonist
07/24/2004, 05:12 PM
I was talking a little with Craig about ROs when he stopped by the lab the other day...

I asked about water temp, the optimum is about 77 F (some are different and it should say so on the membrane) for most RO's to work efficiently, this is hard to get in ME...

If I understood her correctly...Wynne said she heats the water by placing a length of piping which is heated by a couple of aquarium heaters.... I wondered what the temp is when the water comes out of the tube when you make water Wynne...that is when fresh cold water is coming into the RO unit, is it heated when it enters the RO?

Craig said there is a pc that can be plumbed in so that water is tapped from the hot water heater to make the water going into the RO the correct temp..... there is some waste as some warm water is discharged from the RO unit.. but one has to deterime if it is worth it.... I just thought I woould pass that bit of ino on if anyone is interested in attaining the opt temp!

Personally I just use straight tap water so the temp is not optimum... it may make more waste but between the dinoflaggelates and hauling RO from the lab.... it works for me ;)

My waste from the RO is high in Na and Chloride because of the salt in our softener,,, if I go to KaCl I should be abe to use the discharge to water plants, I think....

Craig aslo suggested if one wants opt performance, they should test their water ... certain minerals and TDS can hinder performance... this will help you detemine if you need to treat the water before it goes into the RO

HTH
denise