PDA

View Full Version : pH is low, Nitrates are high...

freelancing
10/07/2001, 01:08 PM
My pH has been dangerously low the past few weeks and one of my fish, a mature blue velvet damsel (Abudefduf oxydon), is showing the signs of distress. My pH has been hoovering around 7.9 to 8.0 when it historically has been at 8.6.

I have heard that there is an inverse relationship between Nitrates and pH (if Nitrates are high, pH will plummet)... if this is wrong, please feel free to correct and educate me.

My assumption is that this is due to my protein skimmer be kaput. I have an older 140gal DAS tank that I know little about (got it used), but I was told to remove the plastic bag of alcohol that was apparently part of the protein skimming.

I ordered a clean-up crew of 100 ceriths and 100 nassarius snails nearly 2 weeks ago, but they have not yet arrived.

My guess is that having detrius eaters will help, but I'm not sure how much or if I'm even right in that guess.

If I'm right that I do indeed need a protein skimmer, I'd be interested in getting suggestions on a system that is idiot proof (I am still a newbie in this hobby), affordable (aka: cheap) and easy to maintain, clean, etc.

I do not have a refugium (I hardly grasp the concept), but I'm planning on setting up a system (also w/ a an RO/DI filter, etc.) in my garage and pipe the water in and out via a hole in my living room wall (there's no hole... yet) which is shared w/ the garage.

The aquarium is not far enough away from the wall to set up a hanging protein skimmer on the back and I don't want something unsightly and/or noisy hanging on the sides of the tank.

Thanks,
ShellEy

David Corbett
10/09/2001, 12:27 AM
Wow were to begin.........oh yea first get a good book and read it twice at least:D

My pH has been dangerously low the past few weeks and one of my fish, a mature blue velvet damsel (Abudefduf oxydon), is

7.9-8.0 is not dangerously low

have heard that there is an inverse relationship between Nitrates and pH (if Nitrates are high, pH will plummet)... if this is

Nitrates themselves will not effect Ph high nitrates are a by product of something else, this something else will also effect your Ph. Here is were the books come in handy.

My assumption is that this is due to my protein skimmer be kaput. I have an older 140gal DAS tank that I know little about (got

The bag you refer to has nothing to do with the skimmer, throw it in the trash.

nearly 2 weeks ago, but they have not yet arrived.

What's up with that? Who did you order from? Call them up tomorrow.:confused:

My guess is that having detrius eaters will help, but I'm not sure how much or if I'm even right in that guess.

That guessing thing will work I use that method on occasion, but the detrius eaters will only elevate your nitrate levels. It's all part of the nitrogen cycle, any bio activity of large invertibrates or vertibrates adds to the bio load. You still need the snails though unless your nitrates are superduper high then I wouldn't add anything except fresh salt mix in lew of old, aka (massive water changes)

f I'm right that I do indeed need a protein skimmer, I'd be interested in getting suggestions on a system that is idiot proof (I am

You can get the skimmer you describe at eutopia.com it's free just give them a shipping address. No seriously all of them take some fiddeling and you usually get what you pay for.

As far as the refugium goes allot of people keep them in other rooms and if you do add one this is the perfect spot for your skimmer. Keep going to the meetings and ask allot of questions and check out others systems. I hate to keep harping on it but the literature out ther is excellent and will easily pay for itself in a short term. I have had aquariums for the last 32 years and i learn something new every week, so keep plugging away and enjoy the journey.
:) DOC