PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the ZooMed Powersweep Powerheads?

Red Sea Purple Tang
07/14/2004, 02:00 PM
I was going to try them on the new 33g, but would like some input from those that have them running. +/-

bkwudzjeep
07/14/2004, 02:11 PM
I personally don't have one.......however, I have heard that they don't "sweep" for very long unless you keep it clean = more maintenence. The same guy also had his puffer fish get sucked up into it.

Search maxijet modifications....there are articles that mention that if you cut the nozzle off and set it on a timer, it will change current direction randomly on each on/off cycle..seems to work well from what people say about it.

Red Sea Purple Tang
07/14/2004, 02:13 PM
Interesting maxijet mod.

I'm trying to figure out circulation on the 33L (12x12x48). I would rather not buy another Wavemaster with powerheads, but at the same time I don't want to have stationary flow either. A bit of a quandry (sp?)

Kayo
07/14/2004, 06:41 PM
Anthony,

I picked one up last month. I am not impressed. The flow rate seems awfully low for what is advertised. My head did stop rotating once but moving it back and forth a couple of times got it started back up.

SoupySteve
07/14/2004, 07:12 PM
Anthony - from everything I've read, the moving parts in those things make them problematic - as coralline and other gunk screws them up. I'd THINK that timed powerheads or a SCWD would be better.

twfields79
07/15/2004, 12:45 AM
Kind of off the subject, but about your 33L I saw that the JEBO pc's that I bought of E-Bay are 69.99, just $10 off what I payed 220W actinic and white. About the power heads, I just have mine on timers that I bought from Wally World, 30 min increments(sp?) works pretty good, no complains yet. I keep one going at all times just for the heck of it. Good luck on the 33.

thedogofwar
07/15/2004, 07:05 AM
I've been running 4 of the powersweeps for about 8months now. I have 2 of the 214's and 2 of the 228's. I have to clean the 228s about every 2 weeks to keep them rotating. The 214's continue functioning much longer, normally a month with NP. They could use improvement but overall they are decent. It would take about 6 ph's on timers to accomplish the same diversity in flow.

seawillow
07/15/2004, 07:25 AM
I think they're a total waste of money. I bought one awhile back..it's sitting in a box in my basement. It only worked for about a week (as far as the sweeping motion). I probably should have tried to return it!

Red Sea Purple Tang
07/15/2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks for all the good info. Good to hear from ya Dog in Arkansas! Hope all is going well with the Razorback Reef.

lil'salty
07/15/2004, 07:34 PM
i would just use a scwd and a mag 5 or 7 better results

thedogofwar
07/15/2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Red Sea Purple Tang
Thanks for all the good info. Good to hear from ya Dog in Arkansas! Hope all is going well with the Razorback Reef.

NP, things are going well, I hope the same for the seas. Hey if you guys plan a trip to NWA anytime soon, come post in RR, I need to get up there anyway and I love meeting fellow reefers.

salty, I have no experience with the SCWD's but from what I hear through the grapevine, I'm not sure the SCWD is any beter of an option. Maybe on a filtered closed loop but it appears you have the same problem that you do with powersweeps when trying to run it unfiltered.

I know the price isn't even comparable but have you seen the ocean motions devices? very nice.

Kayo
07/15/2004, 08:27 PM
I need to host a meeting but first I need to attend a meeting at both clubs (I am less then 2 hours from Springfield and 3 hours from Little Rock). I always seem to have something come up (actually my wife is part blame). Being where I live would be a great meeting place for the Seas and the RR to meet. Maybe long range planning I can volunteer for September or October.

thedogofwar
07/15/2004, 09:30 PM
that would be cool & Oct would work for us, Sept is reserved for Monroe. ;)

flamron
07/15/2004, 09:49 PM
I just bought one a few days ago. I too have read about the sweep function quitting. I don't really care though, because I needed a new ph and I figured that they were all about the same price and I would try it and throw it in the salt mix bucket if it stops rotating.